Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone heard of a 'joust' bolt?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of a 'joust' bolt?

Hello all,

First, here's a quick version of my story.

Two days ago, I started hearing a clunk coming from the right front passanger while going over cracked roads and pot holes. Clunk is very lound from the outside, almost can't hear it with the windows rolled up. After reading many posts by other members and their expereiences with similar clunks, I have attempted to do what was most recommended and within my reach. However, the clunk is still there.

Baring in mind that I had a mopar lift installed not many weeks ago, while still under dealer install warranty, I took it back to the dealership to look at it and possibly re-torque all bolts touched/replaced during the lift install. After 45 minutes, the jeep is ready, and the dealer tells me that they found a broken 'joust' bolt that was causing the clunk, which they replaced. Sure enough, after driving it, the clunk is no more. I asked them if this was part of the lift kit, which was responded with 'Nope, it is a factory part, not part of the mopar lift'. The interesting bit is that, despite not being a part of the lift kit (as the dealer stated), they did not charge me for the work they did.

Now, I do have to state that this dealership has always been great with me. They always respond to my emails and inquiries, and have a cheerful and helpful staff. This may be hard for some to beleive, but I assure you, this dealership is very friendly and helpful, so I would not be surprised if they did not charge me for a bolt change if it was simple enough to do.

The problem was resolved and I'm happy that the clunk is gone. Yet, being who I am, I would very much like to know what the issue and its resolution was, which begins with the question of...

what is a 'joust' bolt?

My Jeep is an 08 6-speed JKU Rubicon.

Any information on this 'joust' bolt is appreciated

Cheers to all!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Joust? Or Jounce? The jounce bumper is the rubber stop at the top of the coil spring.

Maybe they replaced the bolt that holds it in place.

edit to add: Come to think of it, I don't think there is a bolt to hold it in place.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-11-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Never heard that one.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default grr, could be a typo

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Joust? Or Jounce? The jounce bumper is the rubber stop at the top of the coil spring.

Maybe they replaced the bolt that holds it in place.

I just looked at the work sheet again, and it sure says 'joust'.
Though, 'jounce' is close enough, so it may be a typo by the dealer, which may also explain why I can't find anything about it lol!

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Sounds suspicious to me. I'll bet they found a bolt they forgot to tighten when they installed the lift.

When they replaced my gas tank under warranty, they forgot to tighten the right rear lower control arm, forward bolt. It didn't take long for me to notice it and immediately tighten it up.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-11-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spaceninja
I just looked at the work sheet again, and it sure says 'joust'.
Though, 'jounce' is close enough, so it may be a typo by the dealer, which may also explain why I can't find anything about it lol!

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!
That's a funny way to spell LOOSE !

Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2750174981.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	397386

Is this what you're talking about? LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Auto definitions.

Jounce:
The action of bouncing. When speaking of shock-absorbers, it is the compression stroke while rebound is the opposite.

Jounce bumper:
An elastic cushion used to stiffen the suspension gradually as it approaches the end of its Jounce travel. Also called jounce buffer.

The only "bolt" I can think of is the lower shock bolt.
Maybe they broke it while installing your lift.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dmanuel
Attachment 397386

Is this what you're talking about? LOL

Now I'm thinking the techs at the dealership where jousting using torque wrenches and floor jacks for horses! haha
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by spaceninja
Now I'm thinking the techs at the dealership where jousting using torque wrenches and floor jacks for horses! haha
Lets HOPE that what they were using!

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of a 'joust' bolt?