Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone added a resonator to an MBRP Off-road Exhaust system?

Old 12-27-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone added a resonator to an MBRP Off-road Exhaust system?

After 6 years I'm getting tired of the drone and noise from my SS Mbrp Offroad Exhaust. I really like the clean and simple design and would like to keep it that way. So before I take a trip to the muffler shop, I was wondering if anyone has added a resonator to their MBRP Offroad or replaced the muffler section with something more bearable?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juanburgundy
After 6 years I'm getting tired of the drone and noise from my SS Mbrp Offroad Exhaust. I really like the clean and simple design and would like to keep it that way. So before I take a trip to the muffler shop, I was wondering if anyone has added a resonator to their MBRP Offroad or replaced the muffler section with something more bearable?

Thanks
Yes, if you have a four door you can easily splice in a resonator behind the muffler, in the section of straight pipe that runs past the evap can. I put a flowmaster hushpower2 in that spot; it's still louder than stock, but it's no longer annoying. Just need to measure and cut out the respective length of pipe, then add in the resonator with a couple of clamps.

I actually just ordered a different muffler to try as well; as I somehow managed to still put a good sized dent in my muffler on the last trip out, and it started rattling. Going to try a magnaflow 12216, as based on it's size looks like it should clear just fine, and should hopefully provide a little more muffling. It may arrive today, if not tomorrow. I'll post back up and let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kbp810
Yes, if you have a four door you can easily splice in a resonator behind the muffler, in the section of straight pipe that runs past the evap can. I put a flowmaster hushpower2 in that spot; it's still louder than stock, but it's no longer annoying. Just need to measure and cut out the respective length of pipe, then add in the resonator with a couple of clamps.

I actually just ordered a different muffler to try as well; as I somehow managed to still put a good sized dent in my muffler on the last trip out, and it started rattling. Going to try a magnaflow 12216, as based on it's size looks like it should clear just fine, and should hopefully provide a little more muffling. It may arrive today, if not tomorrow. I'll post back up and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the overall length of the resonator you are installing?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the overall length of the resonator you are installing?
The resonator I added in earlier was Flowmaster 12512409, 17" overall length; the new muffler that is still in transit is 20" overall length (per the spec sheet).
Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

This was definitely a good combo - still a little bit of deep rumble, but much quieter now. Very close to stock sound level.

Not the best angle on the picture, it's a little misleading - it's actually not all that much wider; still a good couple of inches between it and the side of the frame, and still tucked up and sitting no lower than the frame rail. Plenty of clearance between it and the evap can, and plenty of space between it and the brake lines.

Of course the downside is that it is a bigger of a target to drop on a rock now... but hopefully I can keep it out of harms way for a while, lol.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kbp810
This was definitely a good combo - still a little bit of deep rumble, but much quieter now. Very close to stock sound level.

Not the best angle on the picture, it's a little misleading - it's actually not all that much wider; still a good couple of inches between it and the side of the frame, and still tucked up and sitting no lower than the frame rail. Plenty of clearance between it and the evap can, and plenty of space between it and the brake lines.

Of course the downside is that it is a bigger of a target to drop on a rock now... but hopefully I can keep it out of harms way for a while, lol.

Thanks for the picture...just out of curiosity why did you install the resonator after the muffler? When I look at complete exhaust systems it looks like the manufacturer installs the resonator before the muffler. Would the clearance and fitment still be the same if you swapped them? I may start with adding a resonator then decide if I want to swap the muffler next.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the picture...just out of curiosity why did you install the resonator after the muffler? When I look at complete exhaust systems it looks like the manufacturer installs the resonator before the muffler. Would the clearance and fitment still be the same if you swapped them? I may start with adding a resonator then decide if I want to swap the muffler next.
It was most likely installed there because it was the only space available aside from the rear, which is not preferred by hardcore off-roaders because they tend to get smashed up rather quickly.

A muffler and resonator are essentially the same thing, but the name resonator usually indicates placement in the middle of the exhaust system where most of the resonance occurs.

Quick Reply: Has anyone added a resonator to an MBRP Off-road Exhaust system?