Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone added air bags to their springs?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 AM
jjt
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone added air bags to their springs?

I bought an awesome M116A3 military trailer to tow behind my Jeep but the suspension sags in the rear due to the weight of the surge brakes on the trailer. My dad surprised me by ordering Firestone air bags helpers for the rear. Has anyone used them before? What am I supposed to do when I go offroading, just air them way down? I'm just concerned about losing all my articulation. Thanks.

Oh, and pics before anyone asks. I have a 4" ProComp lift and you can really see the sag in the rear:

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

sure........

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, good score on the trailer. Those things are awesome. And yes, on the trail you just let all the air out. I was thinking about getting these myself but didn't so let me know how they work for you when you get em on!!! good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
jjt
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Have you done much offroading with them? How is your articulation?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had them on my stock rear springs and I have a newer bigger set on my lift, they are awesome off-road, I don't air mine down, in fact you should keep a little air in there all the time so they don't get pinched. On my stock setup, I only had to use about 5-10 psi to keep the back end up even when I was pulling my pop-up trailer
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM
jjt
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rhinonemec
I had them on my stock rear springs and I have a newer bigger set on my lift, they are awesome off-road, I don't air mine down, in fact you should keep a little air in there all the time so they don't get pinched. On my stock setup, I only had to use about 5-10 psi to keep the back end up even when I was pulling my pop-up trailer
Crap, I think the ones I have are for a stock suspension. Which bags did you buy for your lift? I have a 4" lift.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I got my new ones I had to measure the inside ride height and width and then I called the company for a size, they told me I had the biggest size. I have 2.5 inch lift and they don't quote go all the way up or around, but they certainly help a lot, give a little support to the springs. I don't recall offhand the size.

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
jjt
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rhinonemec
When I got my new ones I had to measure the inside ride height and width and then I called the company for a size, they told me I had the biggest size. I have 2.5 inch lift and they don't quote go all the way up or around, but they certainly help a lot, give a little support to the springs. I don't recall offhand the size.
Gotcha. Any reason you could not use a spring spacer underneath the airbags?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know the answer to that one...

Quick Reply: Has anyone added air bags to their springs?