Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Bumper Setup for JKUS (on-road DD, for "looks")
Hard Rock Front Bumper / AEV Back Bumper
25.00%
Hard Rock Front Bumper / Hard Rock Back Bumper
37.50%
Hard Rock Front Bumper / Stock Back Bumper
12.50%
Stock Front / Stock Back
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Hare Rock / 10a Front Bumper with AEV Back Bumper

Old 01-26-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I've been poking around in a few related threads and am looking for some feedback on a bumper set-up I'm considering. I'm an "on-road daily driver" and am looking to improve the overall look of my JKUS...I will be adding a 1.5" Teraflex coil lift, and 275/70r18 KO2s soon. Next are the bumpers... I am trying to figure out what to do re: bumpers, so here is my considerations:
1. Hard Rock front bumper with AEV back bumper (LOVE THE LOOK OF THIS OVER THE HR REAR) 2. Hard Rock front and back 3. Hard Rock Front / OEM back
I am leaning towards # 1 - just curious if anyone has run this set-up and opinions on how this will look. I know it’'s my jeep and I should do what I want, but I am asking for feedback from those who have gone through this process. Thank you!

Last edited by jeepauug; 01-26-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

I think 1 or 2 would look just fine. Both are steel stamped bumpers. 3 will save you money but the steel/plastic combo looks off imo. But everyone has their own taste.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Keep in mind that there are tradeoffs for the awesome looks of steel. It weighs more and could have an impact on your overall weight if you're looking to maintain maximum DD street mileage.

I agree that the bumpers look awesome but for that common resale value on those bumpers, I was able to pick up other aftermarket bumpers including one in aluminum to offset the weight while upping the cool factor and protection over the plastic.

I've pretty much let my mileage go in favor of performance on and off the trail as well as protection from the idiots on the road. Next up is full metal flares for folks who turn without looking.

Good luck with whichever route you choose to pursue.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Keep in mind that there are tradeoffs for the awesome looks of steel. It weighs more and could have an impact on your overall weight if you're looking to maintain maximum DD street mileage. I agree that the bumpers look awesome but for that common resale value on those bumpers, I was able to pick up other aftermarket bumpers including one in aluminum to offset the weight while upping the cool factor and protection over the plastic. I've pretty much let my mileage go in favor of performance on and off the trail as well as protection from the idiots on the road. Next up is full metal flares for folks who turn without looking. Good luck with whichever
route you choose to pursue.
Thanks! So what's your vote??
Old 01-27-2016, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you can find a decent price on the HR/ AEV combo then that's what I would do but when I was looking and thinking about mine, I went with what was on sale and would keep my weight down while maintaining/ increasing off-road angles for the one weekend a year I get to go play.

The HR/ AEV combo look great but I'm not sure how well they'd take a hit in traffic. Obviously aluminum isn't a great answer for traffic either (my rear bumper) but it does keep my weight to a reasonable level.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Yep - but better than stock for sure!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Hardrock front and rear with the AEV rear tire carrier. Hardrock rear is lighter than the AEV rear to save weight.
Looks good and best of both worlds.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4974.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	635819Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4976.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	635820
Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08_yellow_unlimited
I have the Hardrock front and rear with the AEV rear tire carrier. Hardrock rear is lighter than the AEV rear to save weight.
Looks good and best of both worlds.Attachment 635819Attachment 635820

I'm starting to think the Hard Rock front AND back would be best...

Quick Reply: Hare Rock / 10a Front Bumper with AEV Back Bumper