Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hansen, LoD or Rock hard rear bumper and tire carrier.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hansen, LoD or Rock hard rear bumper and tire carrier.

Trying to decide which rear bumper and tire carrier. Want the rack and jerrycan attachments. Anyone with experience with any of these?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hopefully the Hanson rack/jerrycan holder systerm gets some good comments, cuz that's why I bought their rear bumper/tire carrier.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Rock Hard bumper, carrier and jerry can attachments....the jerry can attachments are easy on and off, no rattles and easy adjustment for larger tires. I bought everything off of Craigslist and so far so good.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi

The new LoD Gen 3 looks very sweet. There are a lot of different options including a new latchless design if you want the carrier to swing with the rear gate (and you don't mind having only one gas can).
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RRauzer
Hopefully the Hanson rack/jerrycan holder systerm gets some good comments, cuz that's why I bought their rear bumper/tire carrier.
Do u have the bumper installed? Is it quiet? Any info would help.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by co99xj
I've got the Rock Hard bumper, carrier and jerry can attachments....the jerry can attachments are easy on and off, no rattles and easy adjustment for larger tires. I bought everything off of Craigslist and so far so good.
Thanks for the info. That helps. I believe that the Rock Hard bumper is the least expensive and thats a plus.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

I have seen some local guys have rust issues with the rock hard... powdercoating isnt the greatest and you gotta give it a hell of a slam to close it.

Other than that, like stated above, no rattles, and its been trouble free
Old 03-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are all great choices, but of the three i like the Hanson design the best. I just like the way it looks on the Jeep. Some bumpers look like afterthoughts, thiers doesnt to me.

That being said I would love to have any of them.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stkman252
Trying to decide which rear bumper and tire carrier. Want the rack and jerrycan attachments. Anyone with experience with any of these?
I have the Hanson unit. Only time I've attached the cans was for the photo, as I'm fortunate to have plenty of 'wheelin' close by.
A couple of concerns with the carrier:
The center latch on the tailgate hangs up and is hard to release without a simultaneous shove on the tire.
The top basket legs can move up and down on their attachment posts, without the can weight, and cause a rattle on washboard roads. I've had to wire mine down.
One other minor thing. If you add the top basket, cut off the CB mount tab. There already is one on the tire carrier, and the double thickness doesn't work with a Firestick.
The bumper is great and gives me quite a bit of clearance.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stkman252
Do u have the bumper installed? Is it quiet? Any info would help.
I'm dealing with rattle on the center latch located on the tailgate. The latch hooks are sittling just a little too far back and bouncing against the latch on the tailgate. What I need to do is dremmel the hole of the bumper latch bolt back closer to the tailgate to allow those upper latch hooks to close better. OR get the Daystar tailgate bumpstops as the stock ones are to soft. I think the Daystars would provided more resistance to alleviate the bouncing. I did have another rattle from the bumper latch hooks on the top of the bumper latch bolt, but a $.15 o-ring fixed that.

With what I've said above, I've been in other jeeps and the rattling I' just described is less than other tire carriers (but it is there).

Quick Reply: Hansen, LoD or Rock hard rear bumper and tire carrier.