Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Handling in 4wd after gear install

Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Handling in 4wd after gear install

This thread on the driving characteristics when in 4wd on dry pavement

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/front-ends-slow-speed-wobble-4-wd-104893/

got me thinking about how mine acts in loose dirt/gravel after having the gears changed.

With stock 3.73's and 34" tires, it handled fine. No lurch/skip/whatever the correct term is.

After going to 5.13's, my offroad handling is about what that post describes as his dry pavement handling. Very noticeable lurch/skip in tighter turns.

So, I was wondering if it is somewhat normal, due to the new lower gearing. (which was my assumption until I saw that post and starting thinking about it again). Or if there was a possibility of a problem with the front gear install? Or maybe the front driveshaft binding? Or something else I haven't thought of yet?

Anyway, if it isn't all that normal, how should i go about narrowing down the cause?

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-12-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Just a bump. Still looking for some opinions.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running the stock Sahara front axle (with 5.13s) and front drive shaft?

Did you install the gears yourself? If a shop did it you should take back to the shop. Either way something is wrong.

I'm running 5.13s and have not seen any similar behavior.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't see how the ratio will change the handling
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Forgot to post the other stats.

Sahara Unlimited
OME HD + 3/4" spacer for appx 4" up front
Stock drive shaft

I have some marks on the shaft from the crossmember skid, but the boot is not torn. I also added adj upper ca's at around the same time.

First thought was gear install.

The height is what got me thinking of the driveshaft binding, but I hadn't seen any posts of what the signs of a driveshaft failing were. (other than torn boot and loss of grease inside it)

Next thought was might be driveshaft angle, and maybe I have the caster too high. But the posts I've read indicate that stock shaft are very forgiving in this area. (had it set a 6deg via the angle finder. Went to 8deg recently. The steering is a bit sloppier, maybe, but no change on the performance)

So before I drive a few hours back to the shop, wanted to get some more opinions...

And yes, I have the gears and tires set with a ProCal.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Handling in 4wd after gear install