Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Half/Tube Doors - lets hear it...

Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make your own. I just started on mine. Started with PVC to get measurements right.
Plan on making them out of 1 1/4" square tubing.
Sheet metal where the paper is for mounting hinges and using the side clickers off a tailgate I found in the junkyard. It sounds good lets just hope it gets done by spring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1733043878.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	279286  
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Not sure if ive seen these, ill have to check em out. Who carries them?
Here you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAIRRVB2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	279287

Here is WOL's RockGear Tubes

Click image for larger version

Name:	rockgear.png
Views:	372
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	279289
Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

OR-FAB was my top choice for the tube doors... care to give some comments/insight?
they are very stout and have adjustments on the lockin mech and the door hinges...they have a zipper pouch on the inside of the mesh part....The arm rest in comfortable...Once you get the latch aligned, it stays aligned....becuz there is nothing to stopp the door from swinging all the way out and bouncing of your fender, the padding on the door touches the fender so unlikely to stratch the paint on the fender...the only thing i would have liked to see is black bolts to match the door. i would have liked to see the bolts on the hinges blacked out or at least the option to get them when you ordered the door...i spend alot of time at the beach and the first thing to rust was the bolts i will be replacing those bolts before i put these doors on the new jeep

Last edited by Bamoman; 02-19-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Here you go...

Attachment 279287
Reason I started this thread was exactly for this, thanks. Now, I also want to hear "picky" things too like, how comfortable is it gonna be to rest your arm on a bar as supposed to a sill of a full door for a long time? I know, stupid...but that's the stupid stuff I'm looking to read about...
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bamoman
they are very stout and have adjustments on the lockin mech and the door hinges...they have a zipper pouch on the inside of the mesh part....the only thing i would have liked to see is black bolts to match the door. i would have liked to see the bolts on the hinges blacked out or at least the option to get them when you ordered the door...i spend alot of time at the beach and the first thing to rust was the bolts
So, why not replace with stainless and just paint em? Or are they welded on?

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 02-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah, I am glad you posted this as well. I really like the look of the RockGear tubes because they start high at the mirror and drop down lower and do the opposite on the rear door.

Keep posting pics guys so we can see all the differences!!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

So, why not replace with stainleon and just paint em? Or are they welded on?
no not welded on...just need to take them off and figure out what size they are and order them somewhere online....ill take some pics and post in a sec
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have 2 sets.

Bestop element with the bags, painted inserts and uppers and a set of Body Aarmor.

Element;
Got these so I could switch between the tube, insert and full. Nice in theory but the paddle handles make that a royal pain. These can be lifted off the Jepp unless you take steps to prevent that. Fit is lacking both on the lower and upper. Uppers leak badly. Welds are not that great.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...5&d=1329533531
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...4&d=1329533529

Body Aarmor;
Suiside look with no exterior handle. Solid, with nice welds. Have a screw pin so you could use a Tuffy or similar lock to prevent lifting off.

Only images I have are being preped for speed gusset painting

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1329535042
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...2&d=1329535044

Like em both but if I had to pick one over the other it would be the body armor.

Last edited by Langhorne; 02-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

I may also look into ones that don't require OEM mirror spots because I have the relocation brackets so they're just gonna stay there. I see the body armor doesn't have the mirrors which is good. The rancho's do, right?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

would you like to further clarify you reasoning for that? Haha
No real reason. Just doing some ball busting I suppose lol. I was looking at a couple sets myself, until I realized how much people charge for some bent steel welded together. I'm currently making my own, just need to engineer some hinges and latches. I will throw up some pics when they're done hopefully in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: Half/Tube Doors - lets hear it...