Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Half/Soft Door recomendations

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half/Soft Door recomendations

I have a 2007 2 door steel blue jeep, and i have been looking for a half door that can also be fully enclosed for the summer. I enjoy riding with the doors off and i have no garage so its a major pain to be taking the heavy full doors on and off all the time, especially when theres nobody around to help me line up the pins. I have seen many products, and it seems like they all have major problems that would drive me crazy having to deal with them every day. Basically im looking for half doors that have the ability to enclose for bad weather, but i dont want to go buy other things to rig the doors to fit better like many people have said on this forum, if im paying all that money for doors I dont want to have to go crazy and spend more. Please let me know if you know any product that can help me!!!
Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

I love my Bestop soft doors. If you are willing to take the time to set them correctly, and you are willing to accept that they are soft doors not quiet hard doors....you will be happy.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them. I've never been caught in a rain storm. It might be because I have a very early version of them there is a slight gap between the door and the curve at the front bottom. I suspect if I was to drive in the down pour I might get some spray coming in there.

Baltchief - Do your doors fit tight at the bottom front?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Doc_D
[IMG]
I like them. I've never been caught in a rain storm. It might be because I have a very early version of them there is a slight gap between the door and the curve at the front bottom. I suspect if I was to drive in the down pour I might get some spray coming in there.

I found if you take the door jam protector thingy off they will seal.....that 1/8 inch or so seems to be enough to leave a gap...but I like having it on. Even when it rains you need to have someone driving next to you at just the right place to get any water in. My biggest complaint was the windows flapping, once I bent the window back like Bestop told me, I have had no flpapping since. I put mine on last weekend and they will stat on till October...I love them. Soooo easy to take off and throw in the back. Then if caught in the rain they go right on in like 30 seconds.

I too have been fortunate as I don't have the problems some have. I truly believe that is because I spent the time, (allot of it) getting them adjusted good.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Doc_D

So if i buy a set now, they should be better fitting because they have made changes? and where do you recomend i buy them from?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I am going with the bestop super doors, I had a set on my cj7 back in 1993 and they werent that bad, they must be even better now, they do need to be adjusted to fit properly.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody else bought these RECENTLY? I love the idea of these things but their early reviews from last year are 90% poor. I really only want them for "emergency doors" that I can keep in back and slap on when the afternoon thunder storms roll in, but still I'm hesitant to spend all that $$ on something so many have struggled with quality-wise.

I'm wondering if any changes in production/quality/fit have taken place? If you guys went with these in the last few months please let me know your experience and who you bought from please. You can send me a PM if you want... thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Element
Anybody else bought these RECENTLY? I love the idea of these things but their early reviews from last year are 90% poor. I really only want them for "emergency doors" that I can keep in back and slap on when the afternoon thunder storms roll in, but still I'm hesitant to spend all that $$ on something so many have struggled with quality-wise.

I'm wondering if any changes in production/quality/fit have taken place? If you guys went with these in the last few months please let me know your experience and who you bought from please. You can send me a PM if you want... thanks!
I think most of the early complaints were on the back doors....the fronts were not near the problems.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone was expecting a factory quality door out a of fabric door. I also believe people who aren't really mechanically inclined expected to drop these on in 5 seconds with no fitting. The fact is that the factory half doors costs thousands and thousands of dollars and also probably require even more fitting.

For $400 (or whatever they are going for) these work pretty darn well. It takes about 15 seconds to lift them off the hinges and throw them in the back to go doorless.

I have the early doors and really I would not hesitate for a second to buy them again.

Just plan to spend an evening fitting them and realize that they won't be on par with factory half doors (and for 1/10th the price they shouldn't be).
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback - yeah these would be strictly emergency weather doors and I'm only interested in the fronts anyway. I think I'm gonna go for it.

Quick Reply: Half/Soft Door recomendations