Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

H1 Wheels re-centered, what backspacing?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H1 Wheels re-centered, what backspacing?

Hey everyone im looking at having some military H1 bead-locking wheel re-centered for the JK bolt pattern, from what it looks like its being done by having them re-centered with pressed centers. The tires im looking at running are 36x12.5 on 16.5 rim, what backspacing should I look at having the centers pressed in at? what total backspacing will I need to avoid problems? I plan on trimming my rear wheel wells incase they rub and trimming my bumper to make them fit, plus adding 1" body lift and cutting my fenders. I already have 2" rubicon lift, I will add a bit more lift in the front and extend the bumpstops. So what do you guys think?? thanks for your time
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd be interested in going this route as well... are you having a shop re-center the wheels? I can get the HMMWV wheels easy and free... and sometimes the tires, which are 37s.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmmm I have owned and wheeled 2 H1's and the 2 piece beedlocks are arguable WAY batter than any other beadlocks. Why? Because the lock both sides of the bead not just one and have runflats if you want them which also greatly aide in keeping the tire on.

They are CHEAP if you have a good source to recenter them...

The military good year MT's are very good tires, extremely cheap and wear well. The military also just starting getting MT/R's in 16.5. THOSE are KILLER if you can find them!

All that said... I still would just buy an aftermarket steel beadlock and run a 16" tire. In the end they will be better built and to higher standards. I don't think you will be happy with the hummer rim. They are a huge pain to mount if using the runflats and very heavy!!!. Your JK won't like turning them unless it has a hemi and D60's!!!!

Just my thoughts though!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

I thought I would update so far, as for centers I found pressed centers in the JK bolt pattern for about 50 bucks a pop, as for my local deal it is on 4-5 36x12.50x16.5 tires and HMMWV wheels with run-flats which I intend to ditch and replace with PVC insert instead to have double beadlocks. I know that running bias ply tires wont be good but for the mean time I will, atleast till the end of the year, and then I can get the new military goodyear MT/R's 37's for about 500 shipped with 90% tread and the Mt/r's are radials. For my initial investment im looking at investing 500 bucks on recentered wheels and 36" tires, then later spend an extra 500 for five nearly fresh Goodyear Mt/r's, so all in all at the end of it im looking at 1000 bucks on tires and rims, ofcourse I will need more changes to my jeep before I can fit and run the 36-37's, plan on adding a one body-lift and extra suspension spacers in order to fit them, and also track bars. Then add gears, since for the mean time I will only use larger tires on the weekends, and my regular DD tires for work. Im still debating but this my ideal plan setup. I will recover some money by selling off the military run-flats.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like you have already found the answer, but you can get H1s recentered in whatever backspacing you want. For the JK between 4.75" and 3.75 (as WOL states in FAQs) is a good start depending on how much you want your wheels to stick out. With 13.5" wide tires I'd say go with 4". I know that with the pressed centers there is sometimes a limitation as to how far you can go, but I think you can get them within that range. Also if you plan on running them on the road make sure to get the 16 bolt version and not the 8 bolt. I have heard that the 8 bolts will lose air and are not as reliable as the 16 bolts. H1s are awesome and there are some smokin deals on them. Double beadlocks at a cheap price for the win! Also anything Interco makes generally comes in a 16.5" wheel size. You might want to be careful though with the MTRs from the military. Sounds like you are on top of it, but the military MTRs do have crazy load ratings and wont soften up much when you air down. If you want to throw down a little more coin anything interco makes comes in that wheel size. Maybe the Trxus which have a terrific rep. I'm considering the H1 route too.

~Casey
Old 09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Living Still
It sounds like you have already found the answer, but you can get H1s recentered in whatever backspacing you want. For the JK between 4.75" and 3.75 (as WOL states in FAQs) is a good start depending on how much you want your wheels to stick out. With 13.5" wide tires I'd say go with 4". I know that with the pressed centers there is sometimes a limitation as to how far you can go, but I think you can get them within that range. Also if you plan on running them on the road make sure to get the 16 bolt version and not the 8 bolt. I have heard that the 8 bolts will lose air and are not as reliable as the 16 bolts. H1s are awesome and there are some smokin deals on them. Double beadlocks at a cheap price for the win! Also anything Interco makes generally comes in a 16.5" wheel size. You might want to be careful though with the MTRs from the military. Sounds like you are on top of it, but the military MTRs do have crazy load ratings and wont soften up much when you air down. If you want to throw down a little more coin anything interco makes comes in that wheel size. Maybe the Trxus which have a terrific rep. I'm considering the H1 route too.

~Casey

I kinda have a really fast way of learning and getting my research. Im trying to find out the ones im picking up local are 8-bolt or 12bolt, I would prefer the 12bolt since the max pressure is 50psi on those and the 8bolts are max 30 psi, though i dont see myself running maybe more than 30psi on the street. But I get what you mean about loosing pressure, I would hate to have those problems, though im not seeing to many people., but since Im planing on running radials later the 12 bolt's would be better.

The 8bolt version is alil bit light around 40 pounds per wheel. As for the Wrangler Mt/R's Military, cant beat 65-75 bucks a tire versus the interco's also dont plan on airing down too much, since i live in the south texas area, theres no rocks, only hard packed dirt hills :(

As for backspacing, with pressed centers my back spacing will be 3.5 which is darn good enough for me, by welding them on the inside lip.

All I gotta wait now till i sell my wii, and other parts car then I hope to be rolling on new to me shoes

Last edited by fastrat350; 09-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

im actually a XJ guy but i saw this thread and saw its alittle more recent o google so i wanted to post my 2cents... DO NOT buy the 8 bolt style wheels...they will not hold up with the radial tires... I know this because ive already made this mistake on my 03 cummins... actually on my cummins i didnt re center them... i ran 1.5in adapters i had made for 8 on 6.5 to 8 on 6.5 lug pattern... so really that makes them spacers i guess... but from day one i was busting the bolts off left and right... the radials call for way 2 much air pressure and are larger... this trucks only street drivin and id be riding down the road and they would just pop off... i even tried to drill the holes out larger and ran grade 8 9/16!!! bolts... and it would pull them apart like they are nothing... to run the bolt style u can only run the bias ply tires... run the 12 bolts... this is what i have now with the same 37 military oz tires and they are fine... they were designed to work... will the lower weight of your jeep make a difference with the 8 bolt style... i do not know... but its not worth the chance... it cost me alot of money having to buy another set of these wheels... and alot of time trying everything to make them work... just wasnt gonna happen... Bias ply tires on 8 bolt style... radials on 12bolt style... you can also run the bias tires on 12 bolts... so why buy 8s? and buddy ran bias military tires on his old truck and they road HORRIBLE... in fact id say they are for off road ONLY... i got my wheels and tires on ebay for cheap... $250 for the wheels shipped and $375 for the tires 80% shipped from cali and i live in GA... goodluck!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

did you find out if they were 8 or 12 bolt? If so, were there more sets available?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
did you find out if they were 8 or 12 bolt? If so, were there more sets available?
Well the local deal I found is for 8-bolts, im on the fence, I do understand that running radials is not recommended, but I saw a couple jk's and since the jk's are lighter, it would be technically be safe to run radials with 8-bolts wheels, also like the military tires are for heavier load rating, so there wouldn't be a need to run them at the OE pressure since our JK's are much lighter than H1's. Its like my brother running 22.5's on his dually with semi tires, instead having to air up his tires to original pressures of 100+ psi, he runs his tires at 60-75psi since the sidewalls are so stiff. The same principle would apply when running the OZ rated military tires on our jeeps, hence the reason i've seen many people running 8-bolt wheels with military radials, like people running on toyota's nissans, and a few jeeps. But for the moment, I've put this idea on hold till after SEMA, since im going to SEMA instead, I wont have the money for the wheel/tire setup. Also instead of recentering the H1 wheels, I plan on buying/ordering custom adapters to convert from 5x5 JK bolt pattern to 8x6.5 bolt pattern used on the H1 wheels. The adapters would also be 2.5 to compensate for the 7" backspacing on wheels, im going this route rather than having the wheels cut and re-centered, due to reliability/trueness of a wheel re-centered, and also appearance. In my case, i wont be doing hardcore off-roading, only mild dirt hills, and trail-riding since my area there is a lack of or no rocks, mostly soft dirt hills. The only downside to running spacer adapters will be added stress on bearings, and being aware of "curb check" at all times, since curb check is a leading cause in my experience for adapter integrity and also bearing integrity. Other route also if I decided to ditch "military" look of H1 wheels, while still scoring a deal on tires is ordering custom made 16.5 wheels with 5x5 jk bolt pattern, which can be made for about 110 per wheel by MRW. While at SEMA I will look at finding more custom wheel adapter makers, and speaking with MRW incase they have a booth. After SEMA I will try finding a better deal on 12-bolts rather than 8-bolts.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

I found some 12-bolt @ govliquidation.c o m. They're @ ft hood. It's a cool site for used military stuff. Lokking for a trailer there too. i think you have to be at the auctions though. looks like a great place to buy scrap metal.

Quick Reply: H1 Wheels re-centered, what backspacing?