Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

H.P / Bang for the Buck thread Chargers VS Hemi

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any concerns with shortening the life of the auto trans with the SC. What is the max HP/TQ rating?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 6.1L sounds awesome.... worth the extra money I think..
Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
I am one of those "There is no replacement for displacement" kinda guys. Also being a blower freak (My Dodge for starters thows 56 Lbs of tire ripping boost) I am left craving for power.

Now I have serched and looked and have found tons of threads of Superchargers , and Headers, but NONE running all the goods (Charger , headers and full on exhaust)

Do we have any dyno numbers on a JK with a SC , Headers , Full exhaust?

Now for a while I had been geared up to drop a 6.1 in the Bluebicon. I even had a 6.1 purchace pending until it was found that the block was indeed cracked as I had a hunch because of the violent death of the car it came from. (thank god that didn't go through).

With the advance of SC's and such ... the numbers are creeping twards the good to favor a blower and possibly save a few Grand on a full on Hemi convert. In DIY form 12 Grand seems the sweet number and of course a drop it off and pick it up swap from a shop is about 20 Grand-ish. The cool factor is also stratosphereic which = $$ well spent too LOL.

What do we generally think? Boost and boast or Swap and Smile
Prospectively speaking your going to have to ultimately decide what makes you happy – regardless of what anyone says the 3.8 is a well built engine and our program over 3 years and 400+ kits has an excellent track record. Probing deep for dirt you’ll find a few blow head gaskets all running black box’s with supplemental injectors and all can be reverse diagnosed to hiccups rather than engine weakness.

That being said our shop JK’s have been put through the ringer – we’ve pumped more boost than we would rather post – but its plenty. With our stage 2 and headers our shop JK running 37’s through an automatic and 5:38 gears lays down 290ft/lbs of torque@2700rpm and 240rear wheel HP at 3300 – is it more/less the HP a 5.7 puts down yes, will you enjoy a one day install and the best gas mileage you’ve ever seen yes… have we been through the engine and feel (with our professional reputation at stake) the engine is solidly built, yes. The heads are a bit on the old side, the cams a bit mild, but the block is a tank, and so is the bottom end. It has Teflon coated pistons and extra oiling on the big end of the rod and metal head gaskets…

At the end of the day we are a solution in a box for half the price – and a quarter of the time – IF we had to play dirty and point out some craziness, one resent client who purchased a GEN2 Stage2 for his 2010 confessed that he had a V8 JK and got into an accident with it, his insurance tried to drop him because the engine was not original equipment, he had to hire a lawyer to get a rather large law suit off his head (that’s scary) in the tem years we’ve been selling SC no one has ever reported something like this.

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Supercharging the stock 3.8 is just polishing a turd. The worst part is when people blow their money on bolt-ons and other things that were proven not to work, years ago. LEAVE THE 3.8 ENGINE STOCK OR SWAP IT OUT FOR A V8.
Disagree – this engine stout

Originally Posted by mdmmd
All good points. You should talk to Ross at Ripp Mods. He has his JK set up with his own custom headers and MBRP exhaust and has some pretty good dyno numbers to boast. He also has completely disassembled the stock 3.8 and according to his findings its actually a very well built engine that seems to be more then capable of handling the Ripp supercharger. (you have to ask him the details because I am not engine savvy enough to do it justice).

Has anyone with a SC blown their engine and if so after how many miles?

The SC option is nice because it is something the DIYer can do for $4700. Add another 2K if you add the exhaust and headers but that you could always do later. It's still about half the price of a 12K hemi swap and a lot less then a 20k shop swap.

Having said al that I'm still torn as to which way to go as well.
Originally Posted by cbloyer81
This isn't really debatable if you have the cash. If you have the money go get a hemi. Problem solved.

I didn't have the cash or the time to do a V8 swap. I dropped $4,700 on a RIPP GEN II Stage II kit and a day on the install. All my problems are solved. I didn't have to upgrade the font springs, wiring, trans, etc.

So, if you have time and money go get yourself a V8. If you have $4,700 and a day for an install do a Supercharger. I kept up with a 5.7 V8 Toyota yesterday... and I get 22 MPG (I'm still trying to figure out the DD MPG, I can't keep my foot out of it). I'm very satisfied with 3.8 with a little more air in its chambers.
Good points – and fair perspectives

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
Here is a good thread that discusses the Ripp S/C.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rger-Installed
The constant limp modes & blown head gasket kinda scared me away from the S/C.

I think if you got a deal on a nice Hemi & trans out of a wrecked Grand Cherokee or Ram that it would be the best bang for the buck.
The limp mode issue is a non-issue with the Gen II. They've come a long way with the software; they flash the ECU now instead of piggybacking. The headgasket issue was a limited issue with a few 2008 models.
These are all very old threads having to do with our piggy back set up – like we previously posted any issues we have seen can be reverse diagnosed to find the issue.

Well, on one of these forums there was a guy with a GEN I kit who blew a head gasket but some believe it was because he was getting water on his blackbox (that's how they use to do the tuning i.e. piggybacking) because he had an AEV heat reduction hood that let water in directly on top of the box. The water caused the black box to not operate properly. It may have been running lean as a result. With the GEN II that is a non issue because they flash the ECU.

Additionally, I think there may be one or two others but, there were also several 08's that were blowing head gaskets with no RIPP. Apparently for a week(ish) the factory wasn't properly torquing the head bolts on the 3.8. They are stretch bolts so it's very important to torque them properly.

Should you be concerned? If it calms you down any I have an 08 and have been running it pretty hard and haven't had any problems.

It's easy to overlook the complexity of supercharging a vehicle. RIPP has done an outstanding job considering how much is involved. There are always risks with ANY kit that something will exceed factory specs when you force in more air. That being said, I'm loving my kit and I'm not worried.
Correct – with any mod there are risks – there are plenty of 5.7’s with knocks from gummed up oil pick ups – how many – we don’t know, however, the idea is we (RIPP) did not set up this kit to extract every last HP from the engine, we set it up to get usable power throughout the powerband. We take the responsibility of supercharging a Jeepers vehicle – You guys are out doors men, you’ll drive miles from home to go miles into the woods, the last thing we want to do in ruin your weekend searching for 10 extra hp or an oversight. Instead we took volumetric’s into account and let the air do the work more like a light pressure turbo – Most of the time you’ll be running 2-6psi and ultimately when your looking for more stretch out the RPM’s and get a little more…

Bottom line, RIPP has done everything in its power to be the best power option on the market – factoring in the extra work and capital for a V8, we don’t feel we are a second choice, we feel we are the first and the variable in the swap (its ballsy but then again it’s a ballsy business).

RIPPTECH
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yo RIPPTECH

Without fail, and as always, I now feel like a genius for listening to RIPPTECH. Every time you post makes me wish I could convince the wifey to drop the cash on one of your SC's... Maybe tax time.

Quick Reply: H.P / Bang for the Buck thread Chargers VS Hemi