Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

H.P / Bang for the Buck thread Chargers VS Hemi

Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H.P / Bang for the Buck thread Chargers VS Hemi

I am one of those "There is no replacement for displacement" kinda guys. Also being a blower freak (My Dodge for starters thows 56 Lbs of tire ripping boost) I am left craving for power.

Now I have serched and looked and have found tons of threads of Superchargers , and Headers, but NONE running all the goods (Charger , headers and full on exhaust)

Do we have any dyno numbers on a JK with a SC , Headers , Full exhaust?

Now for a while I had been geared up to drop a 6.1 in the Bluebicon. I even had a 6.1 purchace pending until it was found that the block was indeed cracked as I had a hunch because of the violent death of the car it came from. (thank god that didn't go through).

With the advance of SC's and such ... the numbers are creeping twards the good to favor a blower and possibly save a few Grand on a full on Hemi convert. In DIY form 12 Grand seems the sweet number and of course a drop it off and pick it up swap from a shop is about 20 Grand-ish. The cool factor is also stratosphereic which = $$ well spent too LOL.

What do we generally think? Boost and boast or Swap and Smile
Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a swap would be cheaper and more reliable in the long wrong. A Hemi is built from factory specs to run safely for the duration of it's life without added mods. Adding boost to a non-F/I engine is a blown engine waiting to happen without stronger internals.

So let's say a Hemi swap costs $20k turnkey. A supercharger install costs $8k after labor.

What happens when you blow the engine with the bolt-on s/c? You have to replace it. There's another $5-6k. Besides, the sound alone is worth the swap.

And you can always boost a Hemi

Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes agreed about longevity. A N/A Hemi VS a Forced induction V6 is alot easier on rod bearings , cam lobes etc. ... That is a win indeed.

Costwise I am looking at it from the side of a DIY'er (As I do everything anyhow) And yes a point to take in would be the drop it off turn key guy as well.

HP VS HP wat are we looking at VS Weight addition?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Supercharging the stock 3.8 is just polishing a turd. The worst part is when people blow their money on bolt-ons and other things that were proven not to work, years ago. LEAVE THE 3.8 ENGINE STOCK OR SWAP IT OUT FOR A V8.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeepspeedshop is selling truck hemi diy kits starting at 3500$. Truck hemis are cheap and plentiful bringing the price of a diy hemi swap below a charged stock motor.

I'm waiting for the line of credit to drop back to safe numbers but I'll be dropping in a 5.7 in a few years.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

All good points. You should talk to Ross at Ripp Mods. He has his JK set up with his own custom headers and MBRP exhaust and has some pretty good dyno numbers to boast. He also has completely disassembled the stock 3.8 and according to his findings its actually a very well built engine that seems to be more then capable of handling the Ripp supercharger. (you have to ask him the details because I am not engine savvy enough to do it justice).

Has anyone with a SC blown their engine and if so after how many miles?

The SC option is nice because it is something the DIYer can do for $4700. Add another 2K if you add the exhaust and headers but that you could always do later. It's still about half the price of a 12K hemi swap and a lot less then a 20k shop swap.

Having said al that I'm still torn as to which way to go as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a good thread that discusses the Ripp S/C.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rger-Installed
The constant limp modes & blown head gasket kinda scared me away from the S/C.

I think if you got a deal on a nice Hemi & trans out of a wrecked Grand Cherokee or Ram that it would be the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbloyer81

The limp mode issue is a non-issue with the Gen II. They've come a long way with the software; they flash the ECU now instead of piggybacking. The headgasket issue was a limited issue with a few 2008 models.
What was the issue? I have an '08 and I'm considering a Ripp SC. Should I be concerned?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

You answered your own question inthe first sentence.

""I am one of those "There is no replacement for displacement" kinda guys. Also being a blower freak (My Dodge for starters thows 56 Lbs of tire ripping boost) I am left craving for power.""
the 3.8 is still a 3.8 even with a blower and there isn't another level to go to. Installing a Hemi leaves you with options for more if it isn't enough.

My son wrestled with this problem and now has a new VVT 5.7 Hemi and 6 sp gear box waiting for him to prep his JK for installation and he will be happy with it
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marauderer
You answered your own question inthe first sentence.

""I am one of those "There is no replacement for displacement" kinda guys. Also being a blower freak (My Dodge for starters thows 56 Lbs of tire ripping boost) I am left craving for power.""
the 3.8 is still a 3.8 even with a blower and there isn't another level to go to. Installing a Hemi leaves you with options for more if it isn't enough.

My son wrestled with this problem and now has a new VVT 5.7 Hemi and 6 sp gear box waiting for him to prep his JK for installation and he will be happy with it
Which 6 speed tranny is he using? I've been having significant issues with finding a good kit that uses a reliable manual tranny. The getrag 238 doesn't have the best rep. This is the main thing holding me up with a hemi swap.

Quick Reply: H.P / Bang for the Buck thread Chargers VS Hemi