Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Guys can some please help me with disabling my esp? Im deperate

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just have to splice a wire under the dash and run a switch to it. That's what I did- when you flip the switch it disables the ESP and ABS. Here are the instructions from what I found online when I did mine:

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"

Last edited by Vrrooom; 06-17-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

NICE post!! Love that idea. I may try that. To the guys who wants to undo the disabling of the esp? Just do the steps in reverse. I havent encountered a point where I hought esp was useful at all period. In fact I think its outright dangerous when it comes on. Glad mine is deleted now.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newb question... if you completely disable ESP doing the "steering wheel dance", does it also disable the Brake Lock Differential?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
Newb question... if you completely disable ESP doing the "steering wheel dance", does it also disable the Brake Lock Differential?
yes it does.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I leave ESP on while driving on the street- it hasn't really helped me in any situations yet but I figured it's better to leave it on when it's not intruding in my driving. As for the trails, I turn it off as I enter and it remains off until I'm back on regular roads.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
You just have to splice a wire under the dash and run a switch to it. That's what I did- when you flip the switch it disables the ESP and ABS. Here are the instructions from what I found online when I did mine:

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"
Hi very nice thread, will this work with my 2007 X ?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clarker2000
Okay after looking on other threads on various sights I have figured it out.

The key is in the chimes and how long you hold it. See original post and now see this one. This is 100% correct and worked first time.
1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep

I cant believe its done!!!!!!!!!
I tried this and I guess I am missing something. Step 5and 8 is I don't understand, it says the same thing just twice. what is the diffence between press and hold ESP and depress the esp button for 7 seconds. by depress does that mean don't press? I am sorry I am confused.(nothing new)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Highlander
Hi very nice thread, will this work with my 2007 X ?
I don't see why not- I did it on my 07 Rubicon. ESP should be the same.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vrrooom
you just have to splice a wire under the dash and run a switch to it. That's what i did- when you flip the switch it disables the esp and abs. Here are the instructions from what i found online when i did mine:

Tools/supplies needed: Wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* i soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-first figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as i did.
-locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – if yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) there are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: Esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the jeep is attached to pin 1.
-slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-put the dash back together.
-i also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because i wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"
great thread!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Highlander
I tried this and I guess I am missing something. Step 5and 8 is I don't understand, it says the same thing just twice. what is the diffence between press and hold ESP and depress the esp button for 7 seconds. by depress does that mean don't press? I am sorry I am confused.(nothing new)
ok I found this on another forum but it worked for me. Thanks, I just need more clarity,lol
Get your wheels straight first...(now that I'm thinking about it this might not work if the SW isn't centered)

Turn your key to "ON" position (DON'T START) and wait approximately 5 seconds for all of your dummy lights on the dash to quit. Then shift T-Case into 4HI.

Turn wheel from center to 1/2 turn to the right and hold it. Hold down ESP for 7 Seconds.

Turn wheel back to straight and hold ESP down for 7 seconds.

Turn wheel 1/2 turn to left and hold ESP down for 7 seconds.

Turn key off.

Turn key back to on position.

Jeep with squiggly lines under it should be on in center dash and you should get a read out saying "ESP disabled" for approximately 12 seconds each time you start the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Guys can some please help me with disabling my esp? Im deperate