Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gussets and sleeves

Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gussets and sleeves

I am considering purchasing some front C gussets, and while I was at it I was also considering sleeves.

I see that both TeraFlex and Evo offer both, and I am trying to determine why I might pick one brand over the other. What are the differences between these two companies offerings, and is the Evo offering that much better to justify nearly double the price?

I would love to hear from people who have gone the TeraFlex route, as the lower price is very attractive.

Last edited by u-joint; 08-15-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Gussets and sleeves

Subacribed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Take another look at the pics. Evo has upper and lower gussets, TF is just uppers...

TF

Evo (this pic shows lca skids also, but is easier to see the gussets on it)

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-15-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the pics, that does show off the Evo gussets nicely.

Are the bottom reinforcements not as necessary, kinda odd the TF offering only does the top while Evo choose to reinforce both top and bottom
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

The lower gusset can't hurt and could be benefitial. I just installed the EVO kit. Their sleeves have an O-ring and felt seal at the outer end of the sleeves along with a needle grease zerk to keep sand and water out of the sleeve. I don't know if Teraflex has them. I think I drilled 17 holes in the tubes and welded them shut. Pretty easy mod and I preferred the double EVO gussets to the smaller single one
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...cement-gussets

This might help a bit!!! Good video!!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steel Rain
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...cement-gussets

This might help a bit!!! Good video!!
I meant write up!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me ask you all, my drivers side tire leans out at the top, whereas the passenger side is vertical. My last alignment shows camber within specs, and only off by .2 from side to side. Is it possible my c's are already bent on one side? I have stock rubi tires still but do wheel hard.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Thanks for the pics, that does show off the Evo gussets nicely.

Are the bottom reinforcements not as necessary, kinda odd the TF offering only does the top while Evo choose to reinforce both top and bottom
Short answer is yes. The weak portion is the upper part of the C. But while you are there you might as well do the best job. Speaking from an engineering standpoint the evo style offers more reinforcement than the TF design.

The plus side to the TF design is there is less chance heat will get to the balljoints causing damage. It is the fastest cheapest way to go that will do the job.

The evo design is better but more work.

This summer I pulled out my front end and installed evo gussets, tubes, skids, along with 5.13s, a new steering stabilizer set-up, and solid diff cover. I have to say this package greatly beefed up the little dana 44. I don't like the felt seal/ o-ring design of the evo tubes but the housing is now as strong as you can get with out going to a full truss.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Let me ask you all, my drivers side tire leans out at the top, whereas the passenger side is vertical. My last alignment shows camber within specs, and only off by .2 from side to side. Is it possible my c's are already bent on one side? I have stock rubi tires still but do wheel hard.
Yep, it's possible. Doesn't sound like you're very far off, though. Adding the gussets now wouldn't hurt anything, and just might be a good call with the offroading you do. If the camber was further out, (or when you bend it more) you'd be looking at off-set balljoints to fix it.

Quick Reply: Gussets and sleeves