Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gussets

Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you that have purchased and installed gussets, how many of you did not completely disassemble your axles to weld them in place? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased the teraflex gussets
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easier to pull the springs off and go from there obviously on jacks and no tires...

To remove springs and make it easiest, disconnect shocks (lower), tie rod, tracbar, then mark spots bring weld....

Small welds near ball joints, cool off with mild weld rag....don't try and run a solid bead along the uppers the ball joints will cook...
I've done a ton this way over the years just take it slow...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRUT4CE
Its easier to pull the springs off and go from there obviously on jacks and no tires...

To remove springs and make it easiest, disconnect shocks (lower), tie rod, tracbar, then mark spots bring weld....

Small welds near ball joints, cool off with mild weld rag....don't try and run a solid bead along the uppers the ball joints will cook...
I've done a ton this way over the years just take it slow...
Yeah I was going to remove the springs and everything, my biggest concern is the ball joints and other components.

I had planned on using a wet rag and do small beads at a time, but wanted feedback from others who have done it that way.

Thanks for the advice
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i left my coils and BJ's in place. I took the tires off and wrapped the ball joints in wet rags. I gave them a couple good tacks to prevent the welds from pulling the gussets since you need to bounce around a lot to keep everything cool. I re-wet and wrapped the BJ's after every bead on the outer C's.

Its been 5k miles since I welded them on, 32k total miles on Factory Ball joints and they are still tight. Take your time and even the cheapo stock plastic ball joints will hold up to the welding.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
i left my coils and BJ's in place. I took the tires off and wrapped the ball joints in wet rags. I gave them a couple good tacks to prevent the welds from pulling the gussets since you need to bounce around a lot to keep everything cool. I re-wet and wrapped the BJ's after every bead on the outer C's.

Its been 5k miles since I welded them on, 32k total miles on Factory Ball joints and they are still tight. Take your time and even the cheapo stock plastic ball joints will hold up to the welding.
Sweet thanks for the info
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires and everything stayed on for my pure jeep truss and gussets to be welded on
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welded a set with BJs still in place. Had a bucket of cold water and several rags. Small welds and changed rags out often. No problems as of now (welded them about three months ago).
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Welded a set with BJs still in place. Had a bucket of cold water and several rags. Small welds and changed rags out often. No problems as of now (welded them about three months ago).
This worked for me, too. Did that in Dec 2010 and didn't need to change out BJs until just a couple months ago. Got about 120K miles out of an OEM set--probably about 40-50K after the gusseting. I know, most folks don't get that. Don't know why mine worked so long--checked them every couple tire rotations and they were in great shape. I've always wondered if the early model BJs were built just a little better, then a bean counter figured out how to save Chrysler a couple bucks.

Quick Reply: Gussets