Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grinding Wheel Studs?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Wheel Studs?

Grinding Down Wheel Studs???
I had a problem with my rear wheel lug nuts working themselves loose, today I found the culprit.

My new rear Superior shafts wheel studs are a bit longer than the stock ones and they are poking through my 1 1/4" wheel spacers causing the wheel not sitting flush against the flange.

Is it ok to grind them down so they don't stick pass the spacers? If so, what do you recommend using to grind them down and how should I go about it?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw on an open end lug nut so 1/4 in or so is sticking out, use an angle grinder, grind flush with nut, unscrew nut. Unscrewing the nut helps to deburr the end, screw on and off a few times.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Screw on an open end lug nut so 1/4 in or so is sticking out, use an angle grinder, grind flush with nut, unscrew nut. Unscrewing the nut helps to deburr the end, screw on and off a few times.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
always full of good advice aren't ya

Quick Reply: Grinding Wheel Studs?