Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grinding noise at full turn

Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise at full turn

So today while i was driving around i notice a loud grinding noise when i turned completly to either side i looked and could see anything that appeared to be out of place. Does anyone have any sugestions or ideas?

By the way i am completely stock suspention with 31 bfgs all terains if that helps
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Grinding as in metal clicking or scraping sound or a high pitched whine sorta sound? Power steering can whine a little at full turn especially if the fluid is below full. Clicking or rattling sound could be ujoints or tires hitting the sway bar, which is likely if your tires are wider than stock. Or it's just a jeep being a jeep.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Check to see if you are hitting the plastic skid plate looking thing. If you are, notch it out or just remove it all together. It's useless.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZombJep
Check to see if you are hitting the plastic skid plate looking thing. If you are, notch it out or just remove it all together. It's useless.
I have a aftermarket bumper so i dont think thats it i did find a spot on the left side of the sway bar that looks like it could have been rubbed but when i turned the tires they weren anywhere near touching?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbins84
I have a aftermarket bumper so i dont think thats it i did find a spot on the left side of the sway bar that looks like it could have been rubbed but when i turned the tires they weren anywhere near touching?
when the wheel is on motion, the tire can "move" a bit. I other words, being a flexible material, with dynamic movement the tire may rub while rolling at the material distorts from its static form. The easiest way? Check for rub marks. If there aren't any, it is most likely joint related. Back the other inquiry. Is it a metal grind? Or a more dead sound, like rubber on metal? Rubber on plastic?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
when the wheel is on motion, the tire can "move" a bit. I other words, being a flexible material, with dynamic movement the tire may rub while rolling at the material distorts from its static form. The easiest way? Check for rub marks. If there aren't any, it is most likely joint related. Back the other inquiry. Is it a metal grind? Or a more dead sound, like rubber on metal? Rubber on plastic?
It is more of a rubber on metal grind it sounds like the tread is catching on something

Quick Reply: Grinding noise at full turn