Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grill mod questions:

Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grill mod questions:

I know the grill mod subject has been wore out, however I was hoping to get a few opinions/suggestions from those that have had it on for awhile, so I'm not re-inventing the wheel. I can't seem to get my hands on and expanded aluminum, other than ordering a full 4x8 sheet for a million dollars, so I'm going the gutter guard route from Lowes.
1. Any problems with the zip-tie sticky-backs pulling off?
2. I'd rather not repaint these every few months, so what coating will be more durable? Spray-on bedliner, few coats of regular rattle can? I've read also the spray on plasti-dip stuff?
3. The gutter guard seems like an awfully tight weave- anyone notice any problems with air flow?

Appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. use gorilla glue

2. Duplicolor

3. Couldn't tell ya. Looks at expanded metal from McMaster-carr dot com
Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

The sticky back double sided tape probably won't last too long, so I soaked them in paint thinner for about an hour and then peeled them off. Instead, I used SuperGlu to hold them down, and they're not going anywhere.

As for the guard itself. At Home depot, in the building material isle, they have radiator grill covers that are the perfect highth, but I need two for the width and overlapped the seam under one of the risers. Sorry no pictures. These come in black, bare metal and there are three of four patterns.

The airflow hasn't been an issue, but then again, it hasn't really gotten over 85 yet this summer. I don't worry that it'll be an issue.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Radiator Grill Covers?

Splain the "radiator grill covers" at Home Depot. Is that the name of it, or is actually called/intended for something else?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got mine at a you do it store called "gutter Guard" I all so used 5 MIN epoxy to glue bases down. Pics are on my profile. if you have n e questions send me a PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

The gutter guard I got is not a tight weave at all. Each square is about 1/4-1/2" somewhere in that area. I sued gorilla glue on the back side of the plastic fasteners and zip tied the pieces in place. I used 7 separate pieces, and so far it has been holding tight. The gutter guard is black, so no painting necessary. Got mine at Home Depot. Just ask someone and they can point you to it. Mine came in a roll of like 20 feet or something like that. I've had it on for over a year, never had any problems with it.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by danopearce
Splain the "radiator grill covers" at Home Depot. Is that the name of it, or is actually called/intended for something else?
Just ask for the black plastic gutter guard. You really can't go wrong. And it come sin such a large roll that if you ever have to redo it you have plenty of extra!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Try this.

MD Building Products 12 In. x 24 In.
Black Unionjack Style
Perforated Aluminum Sheet
Model 56006
$17.38 / Each

These are the covers from the 1950's era hot water radiators.

Last edited by cablecoffey; 07-17-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

This is what the radiator cover looks like.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/albu...ictureid=13451
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a piece of expanded metal, that is what it says on the carboard it is in, from Home Cheapo. It's already the right size. I bought black Rustoleum High heat and sprayed it with a few coats on both sides. Came out great IMO. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Grill mod questions: