Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Griffin Steering Attenuator?

Old 04-26-2016 | 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

My Jeep is a Trail Rig not a DD so I don't really care about Road manners. What I do care about is how this is going to work with hydro assist steering? So this unit is basically a shock absorber for your draglink? Since the Ram is attached to the Tie Rod I would think this would have no effect on it....but its all connected so Just wondering if it will be able to take the stress of being stuck or Pinned in a rock garden and not breaking.

I'm just thinking if this is so great why haven't the engineers at TeraFlex or Jeep come up with this idea. There is always a tradeoff for anything you do. I personally like Steering feedback it lets me know I'm about to break something or if I'm pushing the limits of my Jeep.
Old 04-28-2016 | 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
My Jeep is a Trail Rig not a DD so I don't really care about Road manners. What I do care about is how this is going to work with hydro assist steering? So this unit is basically a shock absorber for your draglink? Since the Ram is attached to the Tie Rod I would think this would have no effect on it....but its all connected so Just wondering if it will be able to take the stress of being stuck or Pinned in a rock garden and not breaking.

I'm just thinking if this is so great why haven't the engineers at TeraFlex or Jeep come up with this idea. There is always a tradeoff for anything you do. I personally like Steering feedback it lets me know I'm about to break something or if I'm pushing the limits of my Jeep.
I 100% agree with this. The product on topic is a bad idea and will mask potential issues and worn parts. To be honest I don't even know why this product was developed, no steering system should have a dampening effect like this product offers. If this was great technology then all car manufacturers would implement similar designs. Truth is if you think you need this attenuator then you should may as well run dual fox ats steering stabilisers too
Old 04-29-2016 | 01:59 AM
JK Junkie
Vet Army

Originally Posted by Christian13
I 100% agree with this. The product on topic is a bad idea and will mask potential issues and worn parts. To be honest I don't even know why this product was developed, no steering system should have a dampening effect like this product offers. If this was great technology then all car manufacturers would implement similar designs. Truth is if you think you need this attenuator then you should may as well run dual fox ats steering stabilisers too
Not true, ive seem folks who have it installed with other steering issues. Whether it be geometry or worn parts ie ball joints, rod ends. Having one installed doesnt mask other issues like a SS
would.
Theres 100's of positive reviews out there, maybe 3 negatives. As far as i know nobody has sent one back which says something.
SteerSmarts is not some dude that created a product in his garage. The parent company Power&sons designs/engineers/tests and supplies steering components to OEM
With over Over 85 years in the business.

Funny, i asked the same questions first seeing this thing. Talking to Ron (owner) and researching the company changed any negative opinion i had at first.
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Not true, ive seem folks who have it installed with other steering issues. Whether it be geometry or worn parts ie ball joints, rod ends. Having one installed doesnt mask other issues like a SS would. Theres 100's of positive reviews out there, maybe 3 negatives. As far as i know nobody has sent one back which says something. SteerSmarts is not some dude that created a product in his garage. The parent company Power&sons designs/engineers/tests and supplies steering components to OEM With over Over 85 years in the business. Funny, i asked the same questions first seeing this thing. Talking to Ron (owner) and researching the company changed any negative opinion i had at first.
In other words, still buy another drag link with popular rod ends, greasable, serviceable, for literally less than 100 dollars more.

While it may "not" mask other issues, it definitely doesn't do anything about replacing the weak flimsy stock link and ends.

To me it's like getting a sleeve hammered on to your bent tie rod. Still removing it, still working on it, but instead of replacing it, throwing money in hopes it will help. When the real solution is buying a new damn tie rod.
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:57 AM
JK Junkie
Vet Army

Originally Posted by sa29560
In other words, still buy another drag link with popular rod ends, greasable, serviceable, for literally less than 100 dollars more. While it may "not" mask other issues, it definitely doesn't do anything about replacing the weak flimsy stock link and ends. To me it's like getting a sleeve hammered on to your bent tie rod. Still removing it, still working on it, but instead of replacing it, throwing money in hopes it will help. When the real solution is buying a new damn tie rod.
Actually, too soon to know. adding compliance to the drag link might prolong joint life.
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Actually, too soon to know. adding compliance to the drag link might prolong joint life.
I would agree, assuming the plastic on steel joints are in "good shape".

If the jeep is a dd only, with stock tires, less than 2000 miles a month. My stock stuff went out immediately, pretty much all of it.

If this thing costs Half of what they say, it still doesn't justify what it leaves in place. While these upgrades are really cool, the concept is very intriguing and congruent with the other easy fixes we all chase around.

Just like others mentioned the multiple shock or stabilizer setups, anyone that spends the money in it is going to be hard pressed to not dog it and keep running it.
Old 04-29-2016 | 06:39 AM
JK Junkie
Vet Army

Well i have no say because i dont have one ... yet

HD attenuator or adjustment tube for the Yeti drag link.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2143958458.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	645373   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3864819798.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	645374  

Last edited by kjeeper10; 04-29-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2016 | 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Well i have no say because i dont have one ... yet HD attenuator or adjustment tube for the Yeti drag link.
That's the one with the reverse mounting, no drill high steer dealy.

But yet again, with the new and vastly improved material strength does this still become necessary?

The yeti tie rod is a beast, very high quality. I remember referring to it specifically because of a past post. It's nearly 400 if I remember right, but worth it. Adding another 1 and change fur the kix is a big chunk, nearly like just going with a Carolina metal mashers jk high steer. I drool when I see that thing. But practically speaking, my front axle situation will change.
Old 04-29-2016 | 09:17 AM
JK Junkie
Vet Army

Originally Posted by sa29560
That's the one with the reverse mounting, no drill high steer dealy But yet again, with the new and vastly improved material strength does this still become necessary? The yeti tie rod is a beast, very high quality. I remember referring to it specifically because of a past post. It's nearly 400 if I remember right, but worth it. Adding another 1 and change fur the kix is a big chunk, nearly like just going with a Carolina metal mashers jk high steer. I drool when I see that thing. But practically speaking, my front axle situation will change.
Yes it is, i dont know if necessary honestly. Will find out soon enough. If i feel nothing changed, i will say so.
Old 04-29-2016 | 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't even know where to begin.
I have no idea why it makes sense to add a flexible joint to a part that is designed to never have any flex/deflection.

Quick Reply: Griffin Steering Attenuator?