Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grease gun eats zerk!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease gun eats zerk!

Everytime I grease my zerk fittings for my LCA's from Teraflex, my grease gun won't let go of the zerk and I feel like I will break it off. This may sound stupid and I'm sure it's an easy fix, but how do I get my grease gun let go of the Zerk easier? I assume It's due to the pressure of squeezing in the grease...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abailey
Everytime I grease my zerk fittings for my LCA's from Teraflex, my grease gun won't let go of the zerk and I feel like I will break it off. This may sound stupid and I'm sure it's an easy fix, but how do I get my grease gun let go of the Zerk easier? I assume It's due to the pressure of squeezing in the grease...
Try twisting it to get it off, or get some smaller zerks or a different nozzle on your grease gun
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Usually the nozzle is adjustable...just twist the end piece and loosen it up a little or you can get some fancy nozzles at the NAPA or industrial supply store. I used to find great gease gun accessories at Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet.

Howard
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all. The end of my nozzle does twist. I have never had to adjust it nor have i ever had this problem before. I may just grab some different zerks.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, you can get a replacement nozzle that can be tightend and loosened. pick one up and that will help out a lot.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I just wne outside and gave it a shot again. It was in fact operator error. I never knew I could back off the nozzle to release the pressure.

I did find out, however, that my teraflex LCA's have a bit of a zerk design flaw. If the zerk is screwed in to snug, it binds up the bushing still leaving plenty of exposed threads. Which also probably prevents the grease from going in! It looks like I need some small washers to take up the extra threads.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

What kind of grease is recommended? I used the red Mobil 1 synthetic grease but I am still getting some squeaks from the front end. I have heard using white lithium is better. Anyone know?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Well I just wne outside and gave it a shot again. It was in fact operator error. I never knew I could back off the nozzle to release the pressure.

I did find out, however, that my teraflex LCA's have a bit of a zerk design flaw. If the zerk is screwed in to snug, it binds up the bushing still leaving plenty of exposed threads. Which also probably prevents the grease from going in! It looks like I need some small washers to take up the extra threads.
They have that same problem with there disco's too. You have the right answer small washers. They should really address this issue I know they are aware of it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZombJep
What kind of grease is recommended? I used the red Mobil 1 synthetic grease but I am still getting some squeaks from the front end. I have heard using white lithium is better. Anyone know?
I was told by the local shop that built my front DS that white lithium is better than the Mobil1 synth for most suspension parts. They stated it was because the Mobil synth. needs a decent amount of friction to heat the grease up and make it lubricate. White lithium supposedly needs less heat to do it's job properly. They said to use Mobil on faster moving parts (axles) and any parts that see a lot of frictional force often. I have white/black lithium in my suspension components and DS. Mobil in axles (RCV boot) and my sway bar links. Only downside to the white lithium is that it tends to wear out faster than the Mobil.

Quick Reply: Grease gun eats zerk!