Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grease a front driveshaft?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease a front driveshaft?

I have recently become a victim of the torn front drive shaft boot. In lieu of directly replacing the driveshaft, I think that I cam convert it to a greasable unit. Since it is sealed at the front diff, I was planning to place a zerk fitting there to grease it. That way all the bad grease will travel up towards the boot which was ripped and never get any bad stuff in the greased area.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what kind of results are you having?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
I have recently become a victim of the torn front drive shaft boot. In lieu of directly replacing the driveshaft, I think that I cam convert it to a greasable unit. Since it is sealed at the front diff, I was planning to place a zerk fitting there to grease it. That way all the bad grease will travel up towards the boot which was ripped and never get any bad stuff in the greased area.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what kind of results are you having?

Thanks
I pulled mine apart today, and let me tell you, that think basically looked like a fluted muffler pipe.. its SUPER THIN WALLED and Hollow as can be. So you'd probably spend just as much in grease to fill it, as you would to replace it. (okay not really but you get the idea) on top of that, unless it was constantly packed tight with grease, its going to throw balance off, and lastly, its going to be messy as hell as it spurts outa there. I'm sure if you go the the local auto parts store, you can find some kind of boot that will work. good luck

Quick Reply: Grease a front driveshaft?