Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Grease?

Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease?

Just replaced the oem drag link with a flip kit....new joint has a grease fitting. Will it hurt to use marine grease or is there a certain type of grease I should use?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

My personal opinion is that for a DL or TRE, bout any grease is gonna do. I use red bearing grease but that is because that is what my BJs and hubs require so I have it readily available. I have another grease gun dedicated to RCV grease, and I'm not willing to have 3 different grease guns with different product.

There are a few products that it does matter what you use, but the manufacturers are very clear about that.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

The typical chassis grease is grade #2 (NLGI #2) unless specified otherwise. The number #2 refers to how thick it is, and is on the container somewhere.

#1 is less common and thinner than #2. #0 is even less common and thinner yet. Stuff that requires thinner than #2 or special additives is going to specify it (like the RCV joints mentioned above). Grease labeled marine may have more water resistance and could be any of the NLGI grades. Side note, if the rubber boot is the type that's sealed, don't burst the rubber by overfilling it with grease expecting the excess to escape.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-03-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

A couple years ago while in Maze District, Canyonlands National Park, my front driveshaft started chirping. I had greased the CV joint a couple months before the trip, but in a trip a year earlier to Great Smokies I had that chirp and ignored it. Which resulted in the need to return the DS to the manufacturer so they could rebuild that CV joint. So, this time I pulled the DS and since we were passing through Hanksville the next day, drove in 2WD until I could get to a mechanic there. Who happened to be the fellow that, should you break down in Maze District, you're going to pay to haul you out. A thousand or two dollars. He greased up the CV joint for me and he was using Valvoline Cerulean #2 grease. "Unlike other greases, this will not turn to liquid and ooze out all over the place." And that's what I've been using ever since.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A couple years ago while in Maze District, Canyonlands National Park, my front driveshaft started chirping. I had greased the CV joint a couple months before the trip, but in a trip a year earlier to Great Smokies I had that chirp and ignored it. Which resulted in the need to return the DS to the manufacturer so they could rebuild that CV joint. So, this time I pulled the DS and since we were passing through Hanksville the next day, drove in 2WD until I could get to a mechanic there. Who happened to be the fellow that, should you break down in Maze District, you're going to pay to haul you out. A thousand or two dollars. He greased up the CV joint for me and he was using Valvoline Cerulean #2 grease. "Unlike other greases, this will not turn to liquid and ooze out all over the place." And that's what I've been using ever since.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Oh great, now you educate us on different brands/type of grease after I filled one gun up with "red" and the other with "marine" and now have no way of seeing any numbers on the tube until I replace the cartridge.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I use lithium base high temperature grease
Old 11-04-2019, 06:42 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thought... consider keeping quote questions in the original thread so they have context... And it will be easier for some folks to engage...
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by bkg
thought... consider keeping quote questions in the original thread so they have context... And it will be easier for some folks to engage...
You know how many times I've read this trying to figure out what you mean? I'm thinking that you are referring to the thread title and that it should have more context in regard to the line of questioning. That's my guess at least. It's ironic how unclear your post is.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
karls10jk (11-04-2019), Rednroll (11-04-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:50 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
You know how many times I've read this trying to figure out what you mean? I'm thinking that you are referring to the thread title and that it should have more context in regard to the line of questioning. That's my guess at least. It's ironic how unclear your post is.
Ha... sorry about that.

The OP has been creating new threads for each question. Given they are all related, it seems to me that simply utilizing the original thread would keep everything in context, with the history and original challenges identified.

Quick Reply: Grease?