Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

GPS vs. SpeedO

Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS vs. SpeedO

I have recently upgraded to 315/70/17's from my stock 255/75's and I wasn't planning on using ProCal to fix my speedo readings because I figured that the stock GPS would give me accurate readings. Well turns out that the speedo and gps speed readings match still after my tire upgade. So I am pretty sure that the readings are wrong and it is a little weird that I seem to be passing everyone while still doing the speed limit.

So is the GPS reading just repeating what the in dash speedo reads (need to buy procal)? I really thought that they were stand alone systems? BTW, if I had an auto transmission I would have already purchased the procal to change my shift points, but since it is a manual I haven't. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cody
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the GPS mimics the speed o... I thought wow.. i am still dead on, even with the 4.88 and 35" tires.. thought some magic combination tires and gears fixed mine... but nope! put a regular GPS in there and found that i am about 5mph slower than what speedo says. Of course that varies with the speed, that is my max though. 70 i am at 75 and 80 is 86.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for confirmation man! Kinda disappointed in my GPS now though.

Quick Reply: GPS vs. SpeedO