Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gotta get a new front driveshaft

Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Ok, let me throw out my general 2cents. I'm on my 4th front ds through two different companies, 1 transfer case rebuild, then a brand new one.
#1. Make sure whomever you get the driveshaft from that it's properly balanced. You have about a 50/50 shot on this. Just the way it is.

#2.Make sure you have proper pinion angle in the rear , for the front set your castor so where you can drive comfortably with decent handling, but also where the vibes are pushed to at 75mph before it even starts. And it will vibe at high speeds even if properly balanced because your in a trade off on angle vs. handling. the lower the susp lift, the less of a prob you have with this. If on long commutes, drive under that vibe speed. Or just pull the damn thing for long trips.If you got money,get lockout hubs.

#3. GREASE THE DAMN THING every 3,000m . Cheap joints,expensive joints,centerball cv,splined section, it all needs greasing frequently. When in doubt, grease it even more. Grease is cheap, parts are not.

JeReel,Coast,Teraflex,Tatton,TomWoods,BobWoods,Ron Jeremy'sbackyardcornerboner Shaftmart, doesn't matter all that much, a driveshaft is pretty much a driveshaft.

Holy crap! Your on your 4th front driveshaft? Aftermarket? I think I'm just going to say the heck with it and just keep using the stock drieshafts...less maintenance and less expensive to replace and less parts for me to worry about....I'm running the stock shaft fine with the stock control arms...even with a 4.5" lift. Also, I don't get any "vibes" with the stock shaft. Tore the middle expansion boot, but big deal, it's still good for a good while and I don't do a whole lot of offroading anyways. But if the sounds like a really bad idea, someone let me know.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-11-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon10
What company is this?
from my first post.

h ttp://ballisticjeep.com/buy_online

Originally Posted by mkjeep
All I got to say is great avatar!

thanks i love it too...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Evil_keeps_me_young
my point was 598$ for "You will recieve Two Driveshafts, Three Yokes, U-bolts, and Two sets of CV Bolts."

thats a great deal if you ask me...
3 yokes??? wonder which yoke they reuse? Guessing one of the front since that ds is only $325 on their site.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CGnTtown
FWIW I am running an AEV front driveshaft and really love it. It uses the factory rezepa joint and is very smooth with no bad vibes at all. I have had it for a while now with zero issues. I think I paid around $400 or somewhere around there. I feel that all their stuff is top notch and very well engineered. Give them a call and they could prolly give you more specs.
For those of you wanting to get a driveshaft that sounds like the one to get. Like I said in my first post the oem (Rezepa) joint is the only one of the bunch designed for full time operation.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CGnTtown
FWIW I am running an AEV front driveshaft and really love it. It uses the factory rezepa joint and is very smooth with no bad vibes at all. I have had it for a while now with zero issues. I think I paid around $400 or somewhere around there. I feel that all their stuff is top notch and very well engineered. Give them a call and they could prolly give you more specs.
So they're rzeppa driveshafts are available now? Do I have to order one direct from AEV or can I get it from a place like Northridge 4x4 or something? Tried to find this product on AEV's homepage, but their search bar is useless and I don't have a part # or anything. Where can I get this driveshaft? Thanks!

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to get a lift that requires you to get drive shafts you should upgrade to a stronger drive line and that means you change out the yokes too. Jeep tried to save weight and made a drive shaft that is lite. But it cannot compare to an aftermarket drive shaft.

Originally Posted by Curiosity
3 yokes??? wonder which yoke they reuse? Guessing one of the front since that ds is only $325 on their site.
I think the one on the rear differential does not have to be replaced.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973

So they're rzeppa driveshafts are available now? Do I have to order one direct from AEV or can I get it from a place like Northridge 4x4 or something? Tried to find this product on AEV's homepage, but their search bar is useless and I don't have a part # or anything. Where can I get this driveshaft? Thanks!
I don't know if Dave at northridge has them yet. I would call him first. AEV built my jeep about a year ago and at that time they were not yet available. 6 months later when AEV released them I had to call AEV and speak to someone to get one. I know that they put them on all of their builds they do now. My stock ds lasted only 1 outing before it got trashed. The peace of mind from AEV's ds is worth whatever you have to do to get one.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wsutwiggy
I'm a big fan of Tom Woods, bought mine three months ago and no problems! They sell a great product. From my experience if it fails it is from improper maintance. Grease it evey oil change and you'll be fine.
I think for the most part they are good shafts. I believe my front shaft was over looked and not greased at the shop when they built it. If they would of greased it from then I think it would of been a good shaft also.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Let me throw one more name in the hat. Carolina Driveline in SC. I've used these guys for years and so have others in my local club. Great products, knowledge and customer service. http://carolinadriveline.com/
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepcrazed
Let me throw one more name in the hat. Carolina Driveline in SC. I've used these guys for years and so have others in my local club. Great products, knowledge and customer service. http://carolinadriveline.com/
I just got one from there!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4219531947.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	210125  

Quick Reply: gotta get a new front driveshaft