Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got New Hood Question?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got New Hood Question?

So I got my MOPAR 10A power dome hood its looks bad ass. Cant be happier. I originally ordered a Smitty built one but it came damaged so I just canceled the order the quality and finish was not up to par. I got the MOPAR one and it definaly was better quality and finish looks like they have good a QC team.

Anyways the question I have is My old hood did not come with a Liner or Silencer, it was just bare metal. This PowerDome hood has a liner/silencer. Should I install it or just leave it? I cant see it actually doing anything but holding heat in. I really don't care about the sound but I do care about heat so if it actually insulates the Hood from getting hot It might be worth putting on.

I also did the vent mod where I cut out the Inserts so they are actually a functional vent. I'v got the Hood at the paint shop it was $375 to paint with tax. They said it should be ready to pick up on Tuesday.

I'll post more pics when I get that bad boy back. Just wondering if I should install the Silencer/Liner thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood liner.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	661226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Close up.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	661227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Black.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	661228   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodDaylight.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	661607  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 11-25-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: New Picture
Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be worried about too much heat bubbling up that fresh paint.

Liner being on there may help prevent that 375 turning into 750.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the hood!!!! I have the AEV hood, and it didn't come with the insulation underneath, I would advise not installing it as it's not needed.

I also have the Drake latches, however they don't fit my bushwacker fender flares, so I'm gonna have to cut them in order to make it work. Those latches are damn sexy looking ^^
Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd install it just in case. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Just my 2cents.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had it on my stock hood and it never caused any problems so why not install it just incase.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by N152N
Love the hood!!!! I have the AEV hood, and it didn't come with the insulation underneath, I would advise not installing it as it's not needed.

I also have the Drake latches, however they don't fit my bushwacker fender flares, so I'm gonna have to cut them in order to make it work. Those latches are damn sexy looking ^^
Thanks!! I have to say the Drake latches do cost a lot but they are worth it. I like the fact that you can adjust how tight the hood will be. All you need is a 13mm wrench and you can actually see the hood get tighter with every 1/4 turn.

My last hood had mud stains all under it so I'm thinking if I do install it. It will just get dirty and soak up nasty muddy water and dirt. The real test will be using a laser temp reader with it on and without it on. I'm going to do more testing I wish I had a thermal camera that would settle this hands down.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Drake hood latches are great unless you go off-road or drive anywhere there is salt on the roads. The locks get gummed up really quick and every component of the thing rusts.

The hood mat I believe is supposed to act as a fire blanket too, but I don't know if that is just a rumour or not.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Ok I got the bad boy back from the Paint shop.. Looks great!! Fits great!!! Super happy with the finished product.

Here are some Pics...

About the drakes I don't live where it snows and they don't use Salt here. My Jeep is a garage queen and Trailer queen so it gets washed right after the trail. Its 3 years old with 17K on it so barely gets used.

I'm going to get more pics in the daylight I just picked it up after work. Its also 38 degrees outside so I'll just wait till tomorrow.

Tell me what you guys think? I'm super stoked about it I'v only seen one PowerDome hood Driving around in my town
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver View.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	661507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	661508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head on.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	661509   Click image for larger version

Name:	In the garage.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	661728  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 11-27-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

I decided to not put the silencer on. Its been doing fine without it. I have noticed that the hood is not as hot as the standard hood was. With the vents cut out you can feel all kinds of heat escaping from the vents. Anyone with the MOPAR hood should do the vent cutout mod. Without it the hood is just for looks.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good... did the paint match up?

Quick Reply: Got New Hood Question?