Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got my Rock Krawler degree shims, but how the heck do I install them?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Rock Krawler degree shims, but how the heck do I install them?

Hey all -

So I was having the problem where the rear springs were curved back and striking that horizontal member, shown here: http://gallery.me.com/bdunning/10006...12532903290001

So I bought a pair of the little wedge shaped donut degree shims from Rock Krawler. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get them in. I don't have a lift or a spring compressor or any way to get the bottom of the springs up off the axle to slip the shims in. I'm not especially fond of the prospect of putting the Jeep up onto the Hi-Lift to crawl under there. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by briandunning
Hey all -

So I was having the problem where the rear springs were curved back and striking that horizontal member, shown here: http://gallery.me.com/bdunning/10006...12532903290001

So I bought a pair of the little wedge shaped donut degree shims from Rock Krawler. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get them in. I don't have a lift or a spring compressor or any way to get the bottom of the springs up off the axle to slip the shims in. I'm not especially fond of the prospect of putting the Jeep up onto the Hi-Lift to crawl under there. Anyone have a suggestion?
You need to jack your jeep up and put the frame on jack stands, so your entire axle is off the ground enough to remove the springs and put the shims under them.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

I just put these on. Becuase of my 35's my lift isn't tall enough to lift the frame up and decompress the springs. So here's what I had to do.

-With all the weight on the jeep, I got down there with my spring compressors and put them on the rear springs and tightened them down. This way I don't physically have to compress the springs, gravity is doing the work.
-break loose rear tire lugnuts
-Jack up jeep from my rear diff
-put jack stands under frame, each side on tallest setting (I have 4 ton stands, 6 tons are a little longer)
-lower jack just enough to get weight onto jackstands.
-take rear tires off
-lower jack all the way so my rear diff is at full droop
-The springs didn't exactly fall out, but they were loose. So I cranked down on my spring compressors to get the springs out.
-put wedges on, be sure to note that one side of inner diameter of the wedge has a radius on it, the other side is a sharp corner, put the radii side down (notice the spring purch as a radius too)
-Put springs back in, I had to crank down some more on the compressors

-jack rear diff back up
-put tires on
-jack up some more
-take jack stands out
-drop weight of jeep on to tires
-take springs compressors out (I figure this way I don't have to decompress them as much)

Moral of the story, you'll need a good jack and some spring compressors. Generall speaking, even with a high lift, you can't decompress the springs to the point where they fall out, before the shocks bottom out. My compressors were $12 at harbor freight.

If you're absolutely against buying tools, you could remove your shocks, brakelines, ABS wires, and get enough play in the axle that a hi lift could decompress the springs. This would be a less safe way of doing things and more things to take apart. Granted you need a brake bleeder kit to do this, if you don't have one already.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I take it you paid to have your lift installed? Go back to them and pay to have the shims put in...

If you want to do it yourself, invest in a decent floor jack and stands. Then check 'any' of the suspension write-ups for pics and steps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...7&postcount=10
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

On a side note it looks like your bumpstop is making contact with your track bar drop bracket/bolt. Might wanna have that bumpstop trimmed.

Quick Reply: Got my Rock Krawler degree shims, but how the heck do I install them?