Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gorilla Lug Nuts...Stripping Wheel Studs?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Lug Nuts...Stripping Wheel Studs?

I have always rotated my own factory wheels using an impact wrench (I hand tighten the first 5-10 turns) with no issues. After 90k miles, I purchased aftermarket wheels using Gorilla locking lug nuts. The first time I rotated the aftermarket rims, I stripped the threads on 3 studs (same wheel).

I know there can be many factors: using an impact wrench, proper torquing, etc.

Has anyone else had the same issues? Just curious if I should consider different lug nuts or if it's just time to replace studs after +90k miles.

Any thoughts/advice??? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the threads stripping or are you breaking off the studs?

You are using 1/2-20 lug nuts right?

They should be torqued to 95 - 100 ft lbs
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not breaking off the studs, just stripping the threads and I just verified the nuts are 1/2 - 20. As far as torquing, I have never used a torque wrench, just used the compressor then tightened with a 4-way after. Maybe torquing is the issue, just strange that I never had issues before... :(
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been using Gorilla lugs for a while now. Also used them on my last two vehicles with no issues. Sounds as if they are being over-torqued.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

To expand further on what happened when the stud was stripped, I had a feeling one stud was stripped when I tried to tighten with the 4-way. Sure enough, I removed the wheel to find the threads stripped on one stud. I then tried to put the remaining 4 lug nuts on to move the Jeep inside the garage and go buy a new replacement stud. I used a 4-way (no compressor) to slowly fasten the other lug nuts and 2 of them stripped the threads on the stud. Just still baffled that this would happen after so many previous rotations without issues....
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with Gorilla lugs. I threw them away and got a new set from a different company.
The Gorilla lugs were difficult to install and remove, as if they were cross-threaded, but in fact they were not. They just had poorly formed threads or some similar defect.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Any chance you were using the same lug nut on each of the studs that got striped?

Wondering if it might be one offending lug nut doing damage to each of the studs
Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the input! I'm almost wondering if it also may have something to do with the shorter lugs. I am running MB Chaos wheels and the Gorilla lugs don't stick out far enough to start by hand. I have to use the lock key to start before using a 4-way. Maybe it wasn't actually catching before I used the 4-way or impact.

That being said, maybe I should look into some longer lug nuts that I can actually get a grip of to ensure that the thread is started before torquing. Any suggestions???
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Any chance you were using the same lug nut on each of the studs that got striped?

Wondering if it might be one offending lug nut doing damage to each of the studs
Good point. But no, I tossed the offending lug as soon as I got it off the first stud. It was obvious that the threads on the lug nut were stripped as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I have Gorilla lifetime lug nuts and haven't had any issues. I've had my tires on/off more than normal with no issues at all. I had a tire balance issue and spent a few weeks rotating them all around to figure out the issue, so I probably had each tire off 5-10 times during a 2 week period.

I had Gorilla lug nuts on my TJ too (not the lifetime ones though) and also had no issues.

Quick Reply: Gorilla Lug Nuts...Stripping Wheel Studs?