Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pr 44

Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="nthinuf"]

There can be a lot of different causes for steering shimmy that have nothing at all to do with the PR44. For the OP, correcting his caster is just the first step. (for a bone stock JK, drop the caster from 4 down to 0 and see if it drives the same). For the person you were replying to, we have no info on his specs or what he may or may not have done to try and correct the shimmy.

"Laying the blame on the pr is a bit premature."

Hmmm? I never "blamed" the pr for my shimmy?? I actually stated "I love my pr".
My curiosity in this thread is to discover the "possibilities" of what factors may create any shimmy, wobble, shaking, etc. after the install of this mighty fine Dynatrac product
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

i have the unlimited housing with a 3" teraflex lift. no complaints.

the only little thing that bothers me is the trackbar bracket is so close to the sway car bracket that i cant get my teraflex disco reconnected. not a big deal, i just drive with it disco'd

but as far as steering goes, i think its great
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

gilbo943, if it keeps giving you trouble, I'd gladly trade my d30 for your PR Seriously though, I'm interested in hearing more about this as I'm considering upgrading my front axle and think the PR seems like the way to go. I think changing the caster is a good suggestion for helping your issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

I plan on ordering a pr44 in the next coming months an hope I do not have any of these issues!! I have a 2.5" TF lift..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I should say that I do love the axle it's beefy as hell and would tell anyone out there that is thinking about buying one pull the trigger!!! It's alot of coin but knowing that I could not bend or break this thing even if I tried is worth it. Not sure if I had mentioned it before or not but the lift has been on for about two years and the arms had been adjusted to TF specs for the stock axle. After I installed the PR 44 I had Death Wobble from hell, I couln't drive it over 40mph or the thing would shake apart and wouldn't stop until the Jeep came to a complete stop. It took me two weeks to get into the alignment shop (they also do a ton of other lifted vehicles). When we got it on the rack the first numbers were in the 6's. Can't remember the exact caster but it was like 6.2 and 6.8, with these numbers I had alot of bump steer and DW. The toe in was right on at .20 for what it's worth the steering wheel is also dead on straight so I'm not sure what's up with the ESP going off and it's strange it only does it when i take a right hand corner or curve.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Are you taking these turns fast? Also, I too believe that your caster is set too low. Bump steer...do you have a drag link flip kit? Also, did you find out what was causing your DW? Oh and do you have your track bar raised 3" at the axle?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

I just got done installing some new control arms last week. After getting everything installed I took it for a test drive, knowing I hadn't set the caster angles yet. I just wanted to get it settled. First thing that happened was the ABS came on at every stop sign and ESP at the corners. Only drove it a couple blocks and took it back home. Crawled underneath to to check the caster (about 0-1* each side). Adjusted the arms to get 6*, took it out again and it drove perfect. It's a little flighty, so I may increase it to 7-8*, but very drivable right now.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand. I run a HPD60 and it handles/steers better than stock. No lights or skidding or anything.

this has to be an install/alignment issue. The PR products are well designed.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jctnt1
I love my pr axle, don't get me wrong. The added strength and confidence when crawling was my objective and I believe I have that especially with adding ProSteer joints, 35spline RCV shafts, massive chromo tie rod and drag link on Reid knuckles. Big time expense! I did buy the Unlimited with the caster angle tweaked for my lift? It does drive very nice on and off road but I just have this little shimmy at 45-55mph that needs figured out.

Any ideas Dynatrac peeps? I am on an AEV 3 1/2" lift.
Does your lift kit have adjustable control arms?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension

Does your lift kit have adjustable control arms?
yes, JKS uppers and TeraFlex lowers.
Unlimited Offroad Centers set it up.
may simply be a beadlock wheel is out of balance.