Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pr 44

Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pr 44

I recently installed a Pro Rock 44 in the front of my Rubi, love the axle but I'm having some issues trying to get my alignment right again. Let me start off by saying I bought the Unlimited housing with the built in caster. I am running a tf 3" kit with adjustable arms. I had the alignment shop set my caster at 4 deg on drivers side and 4.5 on pass side. When we started off my numbers were like 6.2 and6.8 we adjusted the upper and lower arms until we came back to almost factory specks. Jeep rides ok but it did handle better with the old housing anybody have any ideas? Also I just noticed tonight that when I take a right hand curve at speed my ESP light comes on and the Jeep thinks it's skidding or slidding and shuts or slows down. It does not do this when I take a left hand curve at speed. Any help would be great!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Yep, my steering has never been as good since adding my ProRock unlimited so I am eager to read some opinions here too. I get a little shimmy in my steering wheel between 45-55 mph. Nothing major just not as good as with my old rubi axle.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I had the alignment shop set my caster at 4 deg on drivers side and 4.5 on pass side
Sounds like your caster is way too low. You are sitting near stock caster. Your pr-u housing has more separation built into it. Go back up to 8 and take a drive to compare.

http://dynatrac.com/pdfs/Choosing_th...using_revC.pdf
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jctnt1
Yep, my steering has never been as good since adding my ProRock unlimited so I am eager to read some opinions here too. I get a little shimmy in my steering wheel between 45-55 mph. Nothing major just not as good as with my old rubi axle.
This would piss me off royally for what the damn thing costs. I thought the added caster correction was supposed to fix the pinon angle thus making it drive like a dream.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with nuf.

The factory caster is 4* with 2* of pinion rise for a total 6* of separation. The JK PR44Unlimited has 10* of separation. With 4* of caster this means you have your pinion tilted up at 6*. I've got to believe that 6* is far too much angle for a 3" lift. I'd be looking to have about 6-7* of caster.

The housing itself should have no effect on vibration other than to get your pinion angles correct (that would be DS vibration which isn't usually felt it the steering wheel).

The ESP light shouldn't be coming on around corners. Is your steering wheel centered correctly?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Like was said, "drives like a dream". After getting my PR 44 Unlimited, mine drives much better than stock. I can literally
drive with the wrist on top of the steering wheel and have it
drive straight as an arrow. I do plan on getting 37" tires in
the near future and I'm concerned it will not drive as stable.
Also plan to add ORE double throw down to current single
coil overs and steering upgrade.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout

This would piss me off royally for what the damn thing costs. I thought the added caster correction was supposed to fix the pinon angle thus making it drive like a dream.
I love my pr axle, don't get me wrong. The added strength and confidence when crawling was my objective and I believe I have that especially with adding ProSteer joints, 35spline RCV shafts, massive chromo tie rod and drag link on Reid knuckles. Big time expense! I did buy the Unlimited with the caster angle tweaked for my lift? It does drive very nice on and off road but I just have this little shimmy at 45-55mph that needs figured out.

Any ideas Dynatrac peeps? I am on an AEV 3 1/2" lift.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

I hear yah, and no matter what it'll be the axle I shove under the front of my rig for peace of mind in the future, it's an amazing product! I just understand how annoying it can be when one little thing is off and you know it everytime you drive it. Good luck with figuring it out.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Been lovin my PR 44. Thanks Dynatrac and Northridge. I had a shimmy also but Have figured out I needed to rebalance my tires went to a shop with the road force machine from Hunter. I had it done once before but WOW..the tire weights changed and the tires position on the Jeep changed due to the force of the pull in the tires changing. Drives like a well....Really Nice Jeep !
Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
There can be a lot of different causes for steering shimmy that have nothing at all to do with the PR44. For the OP, correcting his caster is just the first step. (for a bone stock JK, drop the caster from 4 down to 0 and see if it drives the same). For the person you were replying to, we have no info on his specs or what he may or may not have done to try and correct the shimmy. Laying the blame on the pr is a bit premature.