Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear Wranlger MT/Rs or Duratracs?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Wranlger MT/Rs or Duratracs?

Okay, I'd like some opinions please! The majority of my driving is on road, not off road. I really like the look of the MT/Rs even though they're meant for offroad. I can't decide between those or the Duratracs. Can anyone tell me how each perform in snow and ice, how bad they wear, and noise? I can't make my mind up between the two. I really like the looks of the MT/Rs but am afraid of them being too loud and wearing too fast. I just don't wanna spend all the money on something to wear out fast if they do. I planned on getting either tire in a 285/70R 17 with Pro Comp 8179's. Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant really comment on the mtr but i have had 315/70/17 duratracs on for 11k miles and I have to say its a very well made tire. I dont hear a thing from them realy even with the doors off. They are wearing nice and evenly with still a ton of thread left. They perform ok on the snow and sand but definately not the best tire for that however they more than get the job done. Lastly they just flat out look sick
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love the look of the duratracs, and the set I just bought rides great.

I also hate the look of the tread of the MT/Rs.... so my very biased and somewhat educated vote goes to the Duratracs.

It ultimately comes down to a look vs. function decision that you have make - I think everyone will agree Duratracs are less noisy, better on wet pavement & snow, and will wear better with everyday driving on the road... BUT ..... oh Mud Terrains.... they look so good! (not the MT/Rs imo, but you get the idea)

For me, for my daily driver, I went with the 'smart' choice - now I wish I just got 35s instead of 33s....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

I have MTR's and love them, but I do a fair amount of offroading. They are softer than the Duratracs, and from your description you will enjoy the extra miles you will get, from the Duratracs.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mtr's is great on noise. I love the tread as well. I think it all comes down to how much time you spend on the road and on the trail. If you take it off road a lot then go mtr.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in Canada, Quebec and trust me, here we have 4 month of snow. The duratrac are the best tire in snow and deep snow. Im a camping guy, and in trails, rocks, mud and mountain, they crawl very well. On and off-road they work great, and not loud.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

It would be nice if they came out with a 37. wonder if they will
Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
It would be nice if they came out with a 37. wonder if they will
...I think they will, maybe for 2012
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own the MT/R's and am also a big fan of the Duratraks.

Either is a good set up. One will last a lot longer and one will be much better off road. Both will be good in the snow, ice and rain.

Anything extreme will benefit from the MT/R treadpattern and tire compound blend.

I don't see how many miles a year you drive so I can't respond to the question of treadlife.

You'll be happy with either tire. It's a tough decision but either one will be a winner!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

not sure how much snow you see in WV, but the duratracs are snow rated. I have the MTR K's and like them, but I can't see them being all that good in the snow up here in boston. I am also having some balancing problems with them. Sounds like you dont plan to wheel, so go duratracs.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wranlger MT/Rs or Duratracs?