Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs... C or D Load Rating Preferences

Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs... C or D Load Rating Preferences

Hi Everyone,

I searched for an answer to this question; but, I haven't find enough information to really make a choice, so I hope it's okay to post here again.

I am pretty certain I will be buying 35" Goodyear MT/Rs with Kevlar. I have a JK with an OME HD LT lift purchased from Northridge, so I am pretty certain that 35s will work fine.

I was leaning toward 16" wheels so that I'll have some additional sidewall surface.

A few messages back and forth with planman, and I started thinking more about the rating of the tire.

Goodyear offers their 16" tire in a D load rating, and the 17" tire in a C load rating. I would prefer a C rated tire because it wouldn't be as stiff; but, I'm not sure if the difference between a C and a D would be all that great.

I guess the real drawback is going with a stiffer tire and more sidewall, or a less-stiff tire and less sidewall.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would check to verify that they both have the same tread depth.

After having a set of Toyo Open Country tires on my Ford, I ordered a set for my JK.
I found out, after I drove home, that the set I ordered had 4/32" LESS tread than the higher load rated sets.
I went back to the tire store, and compared the set I received to the same size tire in a load range "D". I was/ am irritated that the manufacturer would have the same size tire with different tread depths, depending on the load rating of the tire.

Since you are considering 2 different size tires, there is a good possibility that the tread depth may not be the same.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish manufacturers would offer more tires in load C. If you have 17" or 18" wheels... you are pretty much stuck with a Load E tire. Kinda crappy.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi

Stick with a D rating if you are at all going to go off-road, way less chance of a flat tire! I stay clear of C-rated tires for my 4x4 vehicles way too many flats, side-wall punctures and tread chunking on Forest Serice roads and trails with the lighter load tires. IMHO...stick with a D or E load tire for 4x4 vehicles.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

I went with a 15" wheel, bought these tires, they are C Load. 35 x 12.5 x 15C VERY happy with them.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I Don't Think 15s Are An Option

Hi racer831,

Originally Posted by racer83l
I went with a 15" wheel, bought these tires, they are C Load. 35 x 12.5 x 15C VERY happy with them.
Based upon what I have read, I don't think that 15" wheels will work (for certain) on a Rubicon. If I'm mistaken, I hope someone will point it out.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi

so uhhhh.... someone wanna buy some 18" wheels? maybe some 35x12.50R18 mudgrapplers. I think I am gonna go to a 35x12.50R17 MTR!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Any Other Thoughts?

Hi,

Just curious is anyone else has thoughts on tire load ratings.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm trying to find a 285/75r16 tire with a C rating. Not having much luck at it. Is there really a noticeable difference between C and D?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im not sure of the difference between c and d rated tires but I have e rated tires and they are very hard and rough. I am interested in getting some of these tires and am also curious of any diff in the c and d rated tires.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs... C or D Load Rating Preferences