Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar

Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran 35 duratracs for 2 years up here in northern Alberta Canada ,there really good winter tire and will buy again but will be studded amd just for winter,there lite as hell but garbage in heavy slop mud/clay and sand.
In sticky stuff cant clear worth a darn.jumped on a sale sick sick deal on 37"nitto trail grapplers.
Well weight difference same rim with 34.5 duratrac was 82lbs, nittos 110lbs......
After a month having them at 29-30psi in hot summer trail and road use worn 3-4 32nds in almost 5000km.
Had them down to 14 psi gripped like crazy,crazy strong sidewalls,mud clean well,going back to a lighter 35" once these are done prob mt mtz
Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I wheel at Rausch monthly. My 37" MTRs do poorly there (had better traction with my 35" Duratracs). Trail grapplers seem to do much better there (and far better on road). KM2s seem to do well there also. Krawlers above those, but not a good street tire.
I go there every month as well with the same tires. I hook up pretty well where exactly do you have trouble?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
I go there every month as well with the same tires. I hook up pretty well where exactly do you have trouble?
Red trails such as shoot the moon, etc. Tires just don't want to heat up enough. I guess if you're running blue and black trails you probably do ok. Where they are the worst is when I need to climb a tire on a tall rock. The tires just slip off. I've run everything from 6 psi to 15 psi. Doesn't make a difference. Then I watch the guys behind me running different tires have zero issues getting their tires to stick. Rocks in the east are tall and narrow. The MTR outer lugs are meant to clear mud, so the lateral traction just isn't there. Find a friend with the Trail Grapplers and feel the difference in the compound as well. MTRs are much harder.

I wheel with Kyle a few times a year (guy who runs the place). He sees the same thing - not a fan of the MTRs.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Red trails such as shoot the moon, etc. Tires just don't want to heat up enough. I guess if you're running blue and black trails you probably do ok. Where they are the worst is when I need to climb a tire on a tall rock. The tires just slip off. I've run everything from 6 psi to 15 psi. Doesn't make a difference. Then I watch the guys behind me running different tires have zero issues getting their tires to stick. Rocks in the east are tall and narrow. The MTR outer lugs are meant to clear mud, so the lateral traction just isn't there. Find a friend with the Trail Grapplers and feel the difference in the compound as well. MTRs are much harder.

I wheel with Kyle a few times a year (guy who runs the place). He sees the same thing - not a fan of the MTRs.
yeah I see what your saying i have slippage on the ledges on the comp course just always thought that was normal. I plan on either trying the trail grapplers or the mastercraft coursers when these wear out to see if it makes a difference. BTW love that trail. walk in the park may be my favorite though
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Derrick_Merwin
What 35" tire would you recommend for a daily driver that will also be taking trips to offroad parks like raush creek every few months? All around best tire/ bang for your buck
Nitto trail grappler. Hands down. I loved mine, but when I went to 37's I switched to mud grapplers.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Fo a mostly daily driver with some off road trail thrown in ivery once in a while I would do C rated Duratrac's or one of its sister tires, Kelly Safari or Fierce Attitudes as the Duratrac is one of the best rated all around tire there is. For a more aggessive tire for off road I would look at the Cooper SST, Maxxis Trepador or Creepy Crawlers. For very aggressive off road I like the DC Crushers or Interco Iroc.

To tell the truth there are so many tires available in 35" pick the one you like that fits your budget. I would look for a tire that is going to be best for what you use your jeep for. For a dd the Irocks would be a terriable tire to run and you are going to see a much lower life from the super aggressive tires that have softer rubber compounds.

Quick Reply: Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar