Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have friends who run them, no balancing issues and perform great. Can't speak on how they perform in rain or snow as we live where there is no such thing. Seemed like at KOH I saw a whole lot of MTR's out there, but again that is held where bad weather means a cloud floated in front of the sun for over 5 minutes. I'm leaning towards MTR's for the weight savings and based on the opinions of people I have spoken to that are in and around professional racing. My research may ultimately lead me down another path, that is just where I am right now. I always had good luck with KM2's except 1 bad tire out of a few sets. Nittos seem popular but I don't know what it is about them I just can't seem to like them, perhaps I am just too weight biased.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I run the 37". I'm not a fan. They are barely even safe in rain. Downright scary if there is any snow on the road. And at least out here in the east, they don't perform well offroad. I've been really disappointed with the offroad part of them. They probably do really well out in the dry rock.
Interesting. My thoughts are just about exact opposite.

I had a set of 35's and now run a set of 37's. Both sets balanced ok but took a lot of weight. I have avoided any uneven wear by rotating them often. I feel like they work out just fine in the rain, I have had no issues with them. January we had two snow falls in Georgia, I thought my MTR's did great, I had zero snow issues. IMO they perform even better offroad then they do on-road. They are not a great mud tire(not even a good mud tire) but do great on the rocks and dirt. They are very light and measure out close to true size, I think my 37's measure 36.5.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second dissenting vote right here.... ran a set of 37s and said I'd not get another, then a good deal came in on a set of 40s... worst mistake ever!

Now that second set may have been a fluke, but the tires almost slashed their own sidewalls and wouldn't hook up for anything! First trip on them I rolled 11 different times... then rolled on every trip after with those tires and couldn't take lines that should have been easy... thought I built my rig too tall, but replaced the tires and now things are back to normal. Seeing the set was basically suicidal, I gave up on them after five trips (no highway, trail only). They were complete trash!

The first set weren't nearly as bad as the first... I got about 20k out of them before selling them off, they did seem to sidewall cut more than any other tire I've ever owned and I felt hook up in the rocks was wanting.

I do not think I will buy another Goodyear tire for offroad again.

YMMV.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 35x12.50x15 and it's the best tire for on and off road I have had in a long time not loud on the road and in the mud they keep getting grip even in Georgia red clay. I would recommend them

The Black Jeep of The Family
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

I had them in 35's and thought they were ok. Rode stiff for sure and took about 10 pounds of weight on each wheel to balance (kidding about the 10lbs, but it was a lot!)

I put nitto mud grapplers on my jeep when I went up to 37's....no weights needed at all to balance, ride 10x smoother and softer. Off-road, I can't really tell much difference, but that was me. The road ride is far superior though for sure.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Vic
JK Enthusiast

Im coming up to new a new set been looking at these too, I guess I can try them and see for my self
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a set of these on my 09. I thought they were great. Good in snow, rain, sand, mud, rocks. They balanced well. Good miles out of the tires.

Bought a set for my 14. Don't balance well. The side walls are starting to bulge out on a couple of tires.
I really want to like these because I think they perform well and I like that they are light weight. I might try to get these warranted. If I had to do it again I might go with a trail grappler or something. I dunno. I still like them.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm on my third set of MTR's, 34's, 35's, and just went to 37's. Like stated above they take a lot of weight to balance, but all three sets have ridden great on the highway. Not a lot of rain or snow here in SoCal but they've done great offroading. Did the Rubicon Trail on the 35's with no issues. they climbed every rock I tried to climb. I rotate all 5 every 5K miles to keep them wearing evenly and was able to sell both the previous sets very easily on the forum when I decided to go larger.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

I have the MTRs in 37's and other than my dealer installing them wrong side out, I've had no issues. Balancing was fine (twice...cause they had to be remounted correctly). They handle absolutely fine in the rain and I get a TON of it in Louisiana. No snow and I don't bang it around off road so I can't speak to their performance there. I can say that the mileage will not be what I got from my Duratracs, but then these are a much more aggressive tire. They are also noisier than the Duratracs by a wide margin.

Personally I think my 3.8L with 5.13 gearing is a total slug with the 84 lb per tire MTRs. I can't imagine the loss of performance with a 100+ lb tire (Nitto)...I drive like a grandma so it doesn't bother me, but if you are looking for a little pep out of your Jeep, it is worth remembering that unsprung weight (tires, wheels, etc.) cause a disproportionate performance loss than other weight you put on your Jeep.

If you want 35's, get Duratracs. 37's, get MTR-Ks. I can recommend both tires. I know plenty of guys who have them and love them.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set of 33's that started on my 08 and have been moved to my 14 for their last season.

We wheel in the Rockies and the tires have been outstanding. We air down to 10 to 15 pounds and they make the dirt roads and trails smooth right out plus the grip has been phenomenal.

I have run them in the snow and they have been outstanding both on paved streets and up in the mountains on a trail. In the mud they have always pulled us through with no problems. The tread design is really well engineered.

I have run them at 15 pounds on asphalt going 50 for an hour and the sidewalls do not get hot. So we never worry about running them for a long time on a dirt road aired down.

The kevlar was attractive to us because the trails here are notorious for cutting up sidewalls and we go places where you might see one or two other rigs all day.

I am going to move up to either 34's or 35's next year, not sure which. But I can't imagine ever going to another tire.

I have found them to be a little on the soft side, they are not going to get you a lot of miles. We have probably got 20K miles on these and they are right at halfway left. I rotated them off every winter and ran a siped set of stock tires rather than wear out our trail tires in the winter here.

The rubber on the sidewalls is thin but who cares, the kevlar is there to prevent a cut taking you out of action.

I did rotate them once every year to keep the wear even but only did front to rear rotation and never did rotate in the spare.

We run ours at 37 pounds for street use. That has given me the best wear and handling. Much under that and they are such a marshmallow that the jeep would wander a bit. It is lifted and marginal on caster so running them too soft would accent the lack of caster. Much over that and the center would wear a bit faster. I did the chalk test a few times to arrive at the street pressure. I have very even wear across the tread at this setting.

I'd say go for it!

Quick Reply: Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar