Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar

Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar

Ok guys who has these tires what are the good and bad things about them?

Do they work well on the road/ in rain/ snow

How do they do offroad?

Just any information you can give me would be great

Also tell me if you would recommend them

They would be the 35x12.5 r15

Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Good tire, light, rotate often. Very aggressive and some have had issues with balancing. In a 35" tire it would not be my choice.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Good tire, light, rotate often. Very aggressive and some have had issues with balancing. In a 35" tire it would not be my choice.
I have 37's... TheDirtman is spot on.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

I have the exact size you are looking for. We just went through the worst winter in Duluth Minnesota since 1874, snow, ice, slush you name it we had it this winter and these tires drove up and down the hills without any problems. Many days I was the only one that made it in to work (damn tires). They are great in the rain too.

I haven't had any problems off road either. They aren't the greatest mud tire but I try and stay away from the mud anyway. They are great on Rocks, I run mine around 10 psi and they flex well around rocks. You need to rotate them about every other oil change. They aren't all that loud on the highway.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

My friends mom has them on her JKUR. She likes them, they wheel well for our Kentucky terrain, but hers have worn out rather quickly. 32" with no rotation.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had some balancing issues with mine, but they are fairly quiet, have good road manners, and seem to do well in the rocks and sand. I cant speak about snow performance, but I can still break my 37's loose going around corners in the rain.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like my mtr/k's over all, they balanced fine for me and do pretty good off-road (the sidewalls are known to be week but i haven't had any problems.). I haven't had them in the snow (live in GA) but they are good on the rode and ok in the rain. I will probably get something else next time.

Last edited by GreatWhite JK; 08-13-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

I run the 37". I'm not a fan. They are barely even safe in rain. Downright scary if there is any snow on the road. And at least out here in the east, they don't perform well offroad. I've been really disappointed with the offroad part of them. They probably do really well out in the dry rock.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I run the 37". I'm not a fan. They are barely even safe in rain. Downright scary if there is any snow on the road. And at least out here in the east, they don't perform well offroad. I've been really disappointed with the offroad part of them. They probably do really well out in the dry rock.
wow, that makes me think twice. what tire pressure are you running? i was thinking about doing the 37" as well but i'm in central maryland, known for erratic and cold snap/icy winters. lots of small snows that coat the road in the morning, with some fluke storms that drop a foot or more maybe twice a year. sometimes no snow at all.

guess i should rethink the 315/70 duratrac route...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by C2U5H
wow, that makes me think twice. what tire pressure are you running? i was thinking about doing the 37" as well but i'm in central maryland, known for erratic and cold snap/icy winters. lots of small snows that coat the road in the morning, with some fluke storms that drop a foot or more maybe twice a year. sometimes no snow at all. guess i should rethink the 315/70 duratrac route...
The rubber of the MTR is pretty hard making them crappy when it's cold. I had Duratracs before these. They did really well for street driving. My Jeep is mostly an offroad vehicle now. I've wheeled with many different people this year and a lot are running the Nitto trail grapplers. Even the guys on 35s are walking up stuff that I slip slide all over on. I never wanted to like the Nittos, but they seem solid offroad and do great onroad.

While not scientific, by feel, the Nitto compound is much softer than the MTR.

I've had the MTRs for about 6 months and you'll see them for sale this fall.

Quick Reply: Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar