Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar - Reviews?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great on road and off, I have never aired down past 15..I am going to try 10-11 next time out.
they do good in the rain, have not had ice yet this year
and you know I gotta post my pic
Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi

I am torn between the same two. I really like the way they look, and liked my MTR's on my TJ so I really have looked at them hard. BFG's have always lasted forever and worked great for me in the past. I dunno... Local tire place doesn't like the new kevlars.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Love the MT/R Kevlars. Good on road, GREAT off road at 10PSI, but they suck at cleaning out clayish mud. But, I play in the rocks, so they are GREAT.
GREAT info - thanks. They're now off my list. Where I live all I have is clay mud most of the year and ice the rest. lol

Good to know *before* you buy something that no matter how cool they look they're not for you.

Thanks

Jamie
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

You might as well cross the KM2s off th, although I am very pleased with mine. e list too. They are average in thick mud.
There was a revew in September in one og the aswd mags. The Intercos won.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've only had mine for a couple weeks and i haven't hit the trail yet. the road ride is VERY NICE. i had e rated trxus sts before. blew out two sidewalls on one small rock garden and the road ride sucked.

i should be going out this weekend to tear things up. i feel pretty confident in the ability of these tires considering what i've read.

maximum traction not mudding
Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

From looking at the tread pattern I'd expect the new Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar to do better on the ice and snow than the BFG KM2.

If you want something that is great in clay then you need to give up on all road manners and go with some paddle tires or tracter tires. If you want you could go with TSL Supper Swampers, not as great in clay as a paddle tire or a tracter tire but at least they will still be streat legal.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have some Goodyear mt/r 35x12.5x17 that I am running at 28 psi. I have had them balanced twice now and they still have a wobble at 40 mph that moves the steering wheel side to side. I have a Tera flex HD stabilizer and Ome LT lift with adjustable trackbars. It has been doing this since the tires were put on 1200 miles ago. They seem to be getting louder at highway speeds. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by s1edneck700
Just for the record....what tires ARE good at cleaning out clayish mud?
I'd suggest something like the SSR Series Super Swampers, they have better road manners than the other SS yet are still very good in mud/clay.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ATMChopper
I have some Goodyear mt/r 35x12.5x17 that I am running at 28 psi. I have had them balanced twice now and they still have a wobble at 40 mph that moves the steering wheel side to side. I have a Tera flex HD stabilizer and Ome LT lift with adjustable trackbars. It has been doing this since the tires were put on 1200 miles ago. They seem to be getting louder at highway speeds. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
I've replaced several sets of tires since the purchase of my first JK back in 2006. One time this happened to me. My steering wheel and entire Jeep vibrated past 45 mph. Turns out it was not the tire. It was the tech. He did not realize the new JK was a 5x5 bolt pattern. He had been balancing my tires with 5x5.5. He showed me the interchangable plates that go on the old balancing thingy. looks like there were only 3 studs for the wheel. Guess that's how he was able to force it on there.

Maybe this will help?

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar - Reviews?