Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear mtr r bfgoodrich km2

Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck45
Do not agree with that AT ALL! I've been on the trail with enough vehicles with MTR's in Moab and you can hear and see them slip when KM2 equipped vehicles didn't slip or make a sound taking the same line. MTR's don't cut it. If you don't want a KM2 I'd look at the Toyo MT.
The original MT/R is an aging tire design. The KM2 is the latest and greatest. Now the new MT/R w/Kevlar is a whole different animal than the original. And I think it is a much better match for the KM2 in comparison to the original.

Toyo MT's are just way way over priced.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went with the goodyears..tire shop gave me a good deal on them..so far i am more than happy with them..will let yall know in a few thousand miles
Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

I love my KM2's. Not too loud on-road and great in mud. I haven't really taken them out on rocks. They're wearing evenly so far.

EDIT: Expensive though...
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Last month I got Wrangler Silent Armor. GY's web site has some 'ratings' on the different tires they offer. They looked like the best all around tire to me. Too bad the MTR's w/ Kevlar were not out then. I would like to see how they are rated. So far, I'm pleased w/ the Silent Armor.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go with the BFG KM2s. just put some on my jeep (35's) and honestly, I can NOT hear those tires. I have driven with windows down and I have to really try to listen for noise and NO, I am not deaf. I am going to post pics soon, so hope that helps.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mall Krawler
I will find out on Sunday how they are on the rocks.

Look forward to the report!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well,

I experienced both sets of tires on and off road.

I had a 2003 TJ Rubicon with MTRs and then I traded it in for a 2007 JK Rubicon with BFG KM1s.

I absolutely LOVE my BFG KM1s. The sidewall was weak on them as I ended up destroying at least 3 tires in the past two years on the trails, but I also went through some jagged stuff.

However, the KM2s have a much stronger sidewall now. The KM1s performed SOOOO much better than the MTRs on both the trail and the road that I didn't even hesitate when I ordered my new 35s to be BFG KM2s.

Don't get me wrong, the MTR is a good tire, but personally I would unhesitatingly choose the BFG KM2 over it. I have a set of 35" KM2s going on Wednesday! I can't wait.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't really know where to search for the answer to this question, but I've looked for a while. I've pretty much decided on 315/75R16 KM2s, but a buddy of mine has 37" KM2s and he said they were a bitch to balance. How hard are they to get properly balanced??? Do they need a lot of weight? And...how do they do on wet roads and snow?

I am also considering the Pro Comp Mud terrains becasue of the siped inner lugs or the Dick Cepek Mud Country or Mickey Thompson MTZs simply based on siping... If there are any tire "pro's" who can chime in, that'd be awesome. If the KM2s are good on road in the wet stuff, all these other tires are a non-issue. Let me know. Thanks all
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joneszj
I don't really know where to search for the answer to this question, but I've looked for a while. I've pretty much decided on 315/75R16 KM2s, but a buddy of mine has 37" KM2s and he said they were a bitch to balance. How hard are they to get properly balanced??? Do they need a lot of weight? And...how do they do on wet roads and snow?

I am also considering the Pro Comp Mud terrains becasue of the siped inner lugs or the Dick Cepek Mud Country or Mickey Thompson MTZs simply based on siping... If there are any tire "pro's" who can chime in, that'd be awesome. If the KM2s are good on road in the wet stuff, all these other tires are a non-issue. Let me know. Thanks all
Any 35"+ tire is going to be harder to balance. The larger the tire, the more it weighs. Which in turn means the more weight you are going to need to balance it.

A tire with sipes is going to provide better traction in the wet and snow as there are more biting edges.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stuka
A tire with sipes is going to provide better traction in the wet and snow as there are more biting edges.
I'd say my Jeep spends 80% of its life on road, so that is my primary concern, but I still want an aggressive MT for when the road ends...
So that being said, would the above listed options (the siped MTs) actually be better on road than the KM2s??

Quick Reply: Goodyear mtr r bfgoodrich km2