Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear MTR with Kevlar life

Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I balance regularly.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by trickzr4kidz
Are they good for the sand?
The MTRs with Kevlar do great in the sand because of the large outer tread blocks and voids, somewhat reminiscent of the paddles on a full on sand tire.

As for the miles you can get on them, it will be all over the place depending on driving style, terrain, 4 or 5 tire rotation and how much stop and go driving you do. If you take your average mpg and multiplied it by 2,000 that should get you in the ball park of what to expect in tire life. Siping and 5 tire rotation will extend tire life further.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
The MTRs with Kevlar do great in the sand because of the large outer tread blocks and voids, somewhat reminiscent of the paddles on a full on sand tire.

As for the miles you can get on them, it will be all over the place depending on driving style, terrain, 4 or 5 tire rotation and how much stop and go driving you do. If you take your average mpg and multiplied it by 2,000 that should get you in the ball park of what to expect in tire life. Siping and 5 tire rotation will extend tire life further.
13mpg x 2000 =26000. Pretty close. Jpop, I know you have posted about service description on this tire. Does the fact that i am running a low service despcription tire on a very heavy vehicle have an impact? What would be a good tire next time, a toyo load E?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryanc
13mpg x 2000 =26000. Pretty close. Jpop, I know you have posted about service description on this tire. Does the fact that i am running a low service despcription tire on a very heavy vehicle have an impact? What would be a good tire next time, a toyo load E?
Well, I have a swelling and itching brain this morning caused by people holding me down and pouring beer down my throat last night, but I'll do my best to answer.

Service description shouldn't have a lot to do with tire wear, unless you really need to push the bounds of the tire design. Either by dipping into the low 20s for PSI and daily street use or the really bad idea of inflating beyond the manufacturers recommendations.

On the Toyos, you just need to do the math on the load index number. In my opinion, about the only tire that is too much for a JK is the 37x13.5x17s unless you have a seriously heavy JK. Much better to go to and 18" wheel and use the 37x13.5x18. They will still have plenty of sidewall height, not need to aired down as much for on road use and provide better ride comfort. There has been numerous complaints about just how rough of a ride the 37x17s give even aired down into a psi in the lower 20s. with the 37x18s you should be able to stay in the upper 20s and on a heavier JK lower 30s which won't compromise the tire design.

I hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I have a swelling and itching brain this morning caused by people holding me down and pouring beer down my throat last night, but I'll do my best to answer.

Service description shouldn't have a lot to do with tire wear, unless you really need to push the bounds of the tire design. Either by dipping into the low 20s for PSI and daily street use or the really bad idea of inflating beyond the manufacturers recommendations.

On the Toyos, you just need to do the math on the load index number. In my opinion, about the only tire that is too much for a JK is the 37x13.5x17s unless you have a seriously heavy JK. Much better to go to and 18" wheel and use the 37x13.5x18. They will still have plenty of sidewall height, not need to aired down as much for on road use and provide better ride comfort. There has been numerous complaints about just how rough of a ride the 37x17s give even aired down into a psi in the lower 20s. with the 37x18s you should be able to stay in the upper 20s and on a heavier JK lower 30s which won't compromise the tire design.

I hope that helps!
So my mtr 40's are gonna be awesome right??
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Duesy
So my mtr 40's are gonna be awesome right??
They should be, my biggest concern would be balancing as they don't have a good track record there. 40s will still fit on a hunter roadforce balancer and if the shop you're using doesn't have one go somewhere else.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the 35x1250x17.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

I have the 35x1250x17.
Me too and I think we've had similar experiences with the upsides and downsides.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Me too and I think we've had similar experiences with the upsides and downsides.
What are you going with next?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

What are you going with next?
255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KMs on a new 2012 Rubicon Unlimited.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MTR with Kevlar life