Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar or BFG MT KM2s for icy/wet on-road performance?
Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
63.49%
BFG Mud Terrain KM2
36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Goodyear MT/R Kevlar vs. BFG MT KM2 on-road (wet/ice) performance

Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like many here think the KM2s suck on wet snow and ice! I have ran many different tires and these might be the worst when condition include wet ice. Might try siping the center section like others.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had KM2's in 32", 35" and 37". I've also had various tires from other manufacturers. I will so without any hesitation that the KM2 absolutely sucks ice and on packed snow - they are truly aweful. However I had Discount Tire sipe my 35's (with the Safety-Sipe machine) and it made a world of difference. I was so happy with their performance in the winter after siping that I bught a Van Alstyn siping tool (heated and I can cut multiple sipes at one time - I do five cuts 1/4" apart and 3/16" deep the tool costs about 200 and pays for itself after three uses) and did my 37's myself. The results of hand siping are far superior to what the machine siping produces.

Having said that I will not be buying KM2's again because I don't feel the sidewall is up to snuff. I'm going to try the Kevlar MTR next - and I will sipe them before they are even mounted on the vehicle. The MTR looks to me like it needs siping - just not as badly as the KM2.

FWIW the siping helps not just on ice and packed snow but even on slick rock. I will never run an unsiped tire again.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar vs. BFG MT KM2 on-road (wet/ice) performance