Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar or BFG MT KM2s for icy/wet on-road performance?
Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
63.49%
BFG Mud Terrain KM2
36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Goodyear MT/R Kevlar vs. BFG MT KM2 on-road (wet/ice) performance

Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear MT/R Kevlar vs. BFG MT KM2 on-road (wet/ice) performance

I've read just about everything I can on the forums about this, but still waffle between the two. Can anybody help me decide?

There's a ton out there about their off-road performance and I think I pretty much understand their pros/cons (either will fill my needs nicely). The deciding factor is therefore going to be on-road performance as my rig is also my daily driver. I live in Colorado, so it's specifically the wet and ice performance that I'm interested in. Neither are optimized for this I know, I'm basically looking for which one sucks less in these conditions.

I ran the old BFG MT KMs before and they didn't impress me under these conditions. The new KM2s look like they've got more siping, so this should help. Similarly, the Kevlars have more generous siping, so the bottom line is... Which one is less of a compromise on the freeway during a Colorado winter?

Thanks,
Todd

FYI - my rig is a 2008 JK 4DR, 4.5" AEV/Nth Degree lift and I'll be putting 37x12.5s on her.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Goodyear's

I ran KM2's before my MTR/Kevlar's. On my ski trips up into the mountains, if I was the first one putting tracks down the KM2's were just ok. If the roads were already driven on with semi packed to hard packed and icey conditions, KM2's were really sketchy. The back end of the JK was always wanting to swap ends with the front. No experience yet with my new MTR/Kevlar's.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd J
. The new KM2s look like they've got more siping, so this should help.
Is there an updated KM2 because I have NEVER seen a KM2 with siping???
Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 AM
JK Super Freak

subscribed!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too far from you in CO. I just put on my 37" MTR/Kevlars and we had some slick conditions down here in Castle Rock earlier this week. Best mud tires I've run yet on the slick stuff. That assymetrical band of tight tread with siping seems to help a lot on the thin-packed snow and slush. I've run lots of different tires in the snow, I have high hopes for these so far.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Km2 's are not so hot in the Alberta winter. And really, neither are gonna be any good once the temp drops, just gonna freeze the lugs and turnem into hockey pucks. Siping only helps if the rubber compound is soft enough to flex the sipes open and closed, and there isn't a mud terrain tire soft enough to do that. Colorado might be borderline with the temps, but if you get prolonged periods of cold, go with two sets !! Summers and winters seem expensive at first but the only real expense is the extra set if rims when you factor in tire wear over a couple years
Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sim79
Is there an updated KM2 because I have NEVER seen a KM2 with siping???
"Siping" may be too generous a term and probably not technically accurate. The KM2 has additional grooves breaking up the tread blocks, in comparison to the KMs.

KM:

KM2:

MT/R:
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

I just swapped from a 35" km2 to a 37" mtr. I live in Colorado and I drive from Glenwood to Denver all the time. The bfg pretty much sucks in snow. Some people think it's awesome... Idk how they come up with that. They are a great tire. They wore well and no complaints really. I know guys who sipped the km2 and said it was night and day on the snow.
Now having the mtr, I just mounted them and drove to fort Collins Thursday and hit blinding snow on 70. They were brand new tires but the seemed to hold better then the km2 but still, the jeep wasn't solid and I was white knuckled. To be expected with off road tires o this type.

I'm seriously thinking about a set of 35" bfg a/t's for the winter though. Just a matter of $$$
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

If it was me, I would just try and find out which is the softer tire. You need one where the rubber won't get too hard when it gets cold. This will make all the difference in the world when it comes to ice.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is a good thread. My stock KM's are horrible in the rain. I will be switching to Revo's for the winter here in Seattle.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar vs. BFG MT KM2 on-road (wet/ice) performance