Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear MT/R Feedback

Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear MT/R Feedback

I am about to pull the trigger on 5 MT/R 35X12.5/17R. (Kevlar)

Can anybody running these give me feedback on how they are doing with them??

Thanks

Last edited by PhxRainey; 01-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

I just put 5 of these on my 09 rubicon with a premium 3.5" aev lift, and aev pintler wheels and could not be more happy! I had them balanced close to perfect and they are quieter than the stock 32" bf's. Great in the snow as well! There is a lot of threads in here that are for them, and against them. This is just my 2 cents!

(O|||||||O)
Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Id like to know how they balance out compared to KM2s? Sorry for the hijack.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kepsrubicon
I just put 5 of these on my 09 rubicon with a premium 3.5" aev lift, and aev pintler wheels and could not be more happy! I had them balanced close to perfect and they are quieter than the stock 32" bf's. Great in the snow as well! There is a lot of threads in here that are for them, and against them. This is just my 2 cents!

(O|||||||O)
Wow that looks awesome. That's pretty much the exact setup I want to run (probably in a few years). It's so nice to see more 2 doors with the AEV kit too. Can you post more pics of you JK from different angles? How do you like the ride of the AEV 3.5"? Do the MT/R Kevlars handle the packed down snow and ice on the road well too? Sorry for another hijack
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

First off this is my first Jeep and MT tire of any kind. I've had them for about 5000 miles. On-road they're great. Quite, handle good on the hwy, and ride nice at 30psi. Off-road is where they really shine. I run them at 12-13psi and they've beat my expectations every time out. I've not had a problem balancing them.

Sorry for the large photos.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejk09
Wow that looks awesome. That's pretty much the exact setup I want to run (probably in a few years). It's so nice to see more 2 doors with the AEV kit too. Can you post more pics of you JK from different angles? How do you like the ride of the AEV 3.5"? Do the MT/R Kevlars handle the packed down snow and ice on the road well too? Sorry for another hijack

I was recently at a ski resort and on the back side of the mountain, and at our chalet, the roads were just packed snow. our driveway was not packed down. I was pretty impressed. I felt very safe even cruising around. The side to side grip was not super great, but that was only when I was trying to play a little. I'm guessing if I had them sipped it would help with the side to side grip, but moving forward and backward was great!

Here's my favorite thing about them. I'm close to 30k miles on my tires and they still look great!!! My 32" factory BFG's were worn far worse at 20k miles then my mtrk's are. I had the expectations that I would be upgrading to some 37's this summer, but I honestly think they will get me well into the fall or even early spring of next year. Being in the south, We get plenty of rain during the spring and summer. I have tons of confidence while driving in the hardest downpours. Even my girlfriend noticed that it seems to hold very well if you hit a hidden deep puddle on the interstate.

Offroad is the biggest wow factory for me. I air them down to around 10-12psi and they seem to glue themselves to the rocks, even if its wet. The clean fairly well, but all the clay mixed in with our tennessee mud is a challenge for even the most aggressive mud tire.

I will definitely agree with the above poster about the road noise. These are no louder then the factory BFG's on the rubi's. I definitely love these tires. I will be going up to 37's when these wear down. There are plenty of great tires out there, but for all the things I do. The MTRK's are awesome!! The only negative i've heard or seen is the balancing issue some have. Mine haven't been bad, but I keep mine rotated frequently and get them balance as needed. I know after running my for the last year. There are 3-4 jeeps I wheel with that run them now. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!

-Chad-

Last edited by JKChad; 01-27-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I currently have the MTR/Kevlars, but have run the older version MT/R's also. I'll assume you want feed back on the new MTR/Kevlars. So far I am really happy with them on road, my 40"s don't have an ounce of wobble or shake, I had them up to about 80mph for a few short periods on the hwy. Offroad, the tires when aired down (I run about 8-10lbs) are incredible. I will say they perform as good as the KM2's they have replaced, and in all conditions out here in the southwest. I know many people get pretty spun up about the "actual tire size", well the Goodyears seem to be about the truest when compared to marked size. If these tires hold up well in really bad rock conditions, I'll buy them again. If not I'll move on to BFG Krawler KX's (not KM2's)

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

I'll get a few more pics up in the next few days with every angle covered. I've done a little mire work since that picture, but could not be happier. I went sledding with the kids 3 weeks ago and the hill was pretty good size, I climbed up the hill in 4 hi, on super packed, icy snow and the tired didn't even spin. When these do wear out I will be staying with them and moving up to 37's. This is my toy, you can't get 2 kids and a wife on a Harley! I had them balanced at discount tire by Steve who is a jeep owner as well with the sane tires, he got all 5 tires with in 3 ounces of being perfect!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

As far as the lift, it really does drive as good, if not better then the factory set up! It us an absolute must to have the high steer kit. No death wobble at all, and the bilstein shocks are incredible! I did not use the brackets for the lower control arms though, it took away to much ground clearance, instead I opted for jks arms all the way around, with front and rear adj. Sway bars, and jks quick discos, just in case. Hope this helps!

(O|||||||O)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I currently have the MTR/Kevlars, but have run the older version MT/R's also. I'll assume you want feed back on the new MTR/Kevlars. So far I am really happy with them on road, my 40"s don't have an ounce of wobble or shake, I had them up to about 80mph for a few short periods on the hwy. Offroad, the tires when aired down (I run about 8-10lbs) are incredible. I will say they perform as good as the KM2's they have replaced, and in all conditions out here in the southwest. I know many people get pretty spun up about the "actual tire size", well the Goodyears seem to be about the truest when compared to marked size. If these tires hold up well in really bad rock conditions, I'll buy them again. If not I'll move on to BFG Krawler KX's (not KM2's)
I considered the Km2s and stilll like them but I went with the Toyo Mt 37's instead. Man your rig is one of sickest ones I have seen on the Forum!! great Job

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R Feedback