Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear Duratracs: yes or no?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Duratracs: yes or no?

I'm hoping to get tires with this years tax return and up until the Duratracs came out, i was dead set on a mud terrain. I like the idea of not having to worry about traction in muddy situations or having to worry about the durability of the sidewalls. However, I also realize that probaby 95% of my driving is onroad, and after the snowstorm we had this past weekend, I've come to appreciate the value of a tire thats good in winter conditions, which I'm sure I wont find in a mud terrain. What do you guys thing, would this be a good compromise? All the reviews I read rave about them and even say they do well in mud, but I don't know if this is coming from experienced offroaders, or some schmuck that thinks they are great in mud cause they got him through a puddle. I don't doubt they are good onroad, but I'm worried about mud traction and sidewall durability.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Got these on today - duratracs

Just put a set of 5 on the rims this morning (4dr X). Can't confirm much as this is the first set I've owned. 285/70-17's. I am getting some extreme rubbage on the inside of the front wheels at full turn. Running all stock. TF 2.5" coil kit should be here by year's end. And the spare wouldn't fit on the tire carrier. I didn't try myself, but my tire buddy said only two threads would catch on the securing bolt/nut. They look sweet, tho.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

scooter, are the 265's closer to a 31" or 32" tire? I was gonna go 285/75-16, but they only come in a E load range.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was planning on a Teraflex leveling kit and wheel spacers anyways. I'm just afraid the e load range would cause my jeep to ride like crap.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
I know someone that is runnin 33s on 17" wheels and he has load range D tires.
That would be me! I have the 285/70-17s that are a loadrange D. I run them at 31psi and they seem to ride the same as the stock Duellers on the 18" wheels that the Sahara comes with. As Scooter said, we've had these things thru some nasty stuff and they are amazing. Great grip on rock also.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
GDK
JK Newbie

I got my 33s about a month ago and love them. I drive around 40 highway miles each way to work and they a great on the road. We had a ton of snow over the holidays and they have performed great. I'm completely satisfied with them and will purchase 35s once these wear out. They also look great.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been looking at AT tires here lately to replace the MT's that are on my JK now as I have a 2.5" lift and want 35's or 315's. I was originally going to go with a larger MT tire but given that like others in this thread 95% of my driving is on road I'm getting tired of the whine from my BFG's

Right now my top choice had been the BGF AT or GoodYear SilentArmor. The SilentArmor, while rated as an AT tire, looks to be more of a road tire with road hazzard features than a true AT.

This Dueler (which I'd not seen before) looks more agressive than the BFG which is something I'd been wanting, plus it gets the Severe Service Emblem which is something that's important to me as I go skiing quite a bit.

How does this thing handle in water? Is it hydroplane prone? Does it clear decently in mud? I know it's no MT tire but the BFG's are prone to caking.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

I've had mine on for about almost 2 months now and we've had alot of snow and icy roads. These tires are awesome! I only ran BFG AT's for 3 years on my last truck and so far these Duratrac's blow them outta the water. I haven't been able to get into any mud yet (for obvious reasons), but I'm sure they will do fine for the type of tire they are.

I run 285/70/17's aswell but have no issues with the spare fitting on the carrier.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Anyone have some action shots of these tires? I've heard they handle very well in the snow, how are they on wet roads and mud? I was looking at the Toyos and Nittos, these may be another option as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I can't comment on mud traction but on the snow I am 100% satisfied. They also perform quite well on ice and traction on the wet/slushy roads is excellent as well. Bottom line IMO, your making a great choice if you go with the Duratracs. BTW I've got the 33" E rated tire and after reading a mixed bag of comments with regards to ride quality, I've got no complaints at all.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratracs: yes or no?