Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 for my 08 JKU sahara?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 for my 08 JKU sahara?

I have a 08 JKU sahara auto with the 3.73 gears I believe. Riding on the 17" wheels. I would like to or am hopeing to put the goodyear duratracs on there in 285/70/17 (32.8") I had this same tire an size on my 05 silverado love the tire rides so good on an off road. Anyway I am not wanting or planning to do any crazy mods with my jeep as she is my DD and a 20k $ vehicle still. My off roading consist of causal trails and the what not that come with camping and such. Would this tire work? Would it weakin my engine, tranny, shifts...etc Also would I need any lift/leveling kit? Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JWSU08
I have a 08 JKU sahara auto with the 3.73 gears I believe. Riding on the 17" wheels. I would like to or am hopeing to put the goodyear duratracs on there in 285/70/17 (32.8") I had this same tire an size on my 05 silverado love the tire rides so good on an off road. Anyway I am not wanting or planning to do any crazy mods with my jeep as she is my DD and a 20k $ vehicle still. My off roading consist of causal trails and the what not that come with camping and such. Would this tire work? Would it weakin my engine, tranny, shifts...etc Also would I need any lift/leveling kit? Thanks in advance
Sahara's come with 18's unless someone changed it. But you can run 285s with no lift, lots of people do. You will see a loss of power, some say they can live with it. But I didn't like it...Gears is next on my mod list!

Dig through this thread...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...3s-wihout-lift

Last edited by sacdaddy03; 02-16-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

JASU08,

Other than having an '07 Sahara 4-dr, I am presently researching the same tire upgrade. Virtually everyone I have spoke to has indicated that at a minimum 285s will require either wheel spacers or new wheels that have adequate built-in backspacing. Some will suggest that 285s will fit without backspacing IF you don't mind a "little" rubbing when making tight turns. To each his own, but this state of affairs is not acceptable to me. I don't want my $250 Duratracs rubbing on my DD. To avoid the prospect of any rubbing I have pretty much decided on a 1.5 coil leveling kit from TF and new wheels with 4.25"-4.5" of backspacing.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 36bound
JASU08,

Other than having an '07 Sahara 4-dr, I am presently researching the same tire upgrade. Virtually everyone I have spoke to has indicated that at a minimum 285s will require either wheel spacers or new wheels that have adequate built-in backspacing. Some will suggest that 285s will fit without backspacing IF you don't mind a "little" rubbing when making tight turns. To each his own, but this state of affairs is not acceptable to me. I don't want my $250 Duratracs rubbing on my DD. To avoid the prospect of any rubbing I have pretty much decided on a 1.5 coil leveling kit from TF and new wheels with 4.25"-4.5" of backspacing.
What is the back spacing on the 17" wheels? Also if I do go with the 285/70/17 duratracs and notice that they rub at full turn and end up putting on the 1.5" spidertrax spacers would they have any effect on TPMS or the ESP? Its very important to me that I dont mess any of the stock functions up, I know it sounds silly but again shes my DD.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

I just made an appointment to have Duratrac's installed on Saturday at a well know national tire store (not sure if i'm allowed to name the place, PM me) but they had 275/70/18 Duratrac's $190/tire $870 installed out the door. It paid off to call them instead of just go on-line.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 36bound
JASU08,

If you adjust the tire stops then you will fix the rubbing issue on a hard turn. 2 or 3 washers should do it. Try that first and see if you can live with the reduced turning radius.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

So if I just went with the spidertrax 1.5" spacers all the way around that would be suffecent with my stock 17" wheels for 33's? How do spacers affect or change the ride and handeling far as a daily driver is concerned? Also with sapcers how much will this cause the tire to stick outside of the fenders? Do spacers cause any alignment issues?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JWSU08
What is the back spacing on the 17" wheels? Also if I do go with the 285/70/17 duratracs and notice that they rub at full turn and end up putting on the 1.5" spidertrax spacers would they have any effect on TPMS or the ESP? Its very important to me that I dont mess any of the stock functions up, I know it sounds silly but again shes my DD.
I think the backspacing is 6". I also have the 17" wheels. I bought 1.5" Spidertrax spacers but haven't put them on yet. I don't expect them to mess up my electronics. They'll make the tires stick 1.5" further on either side so it'll probably affect the turning radius a tad. I don't expect it to do anything more than what putting wider tires on would do.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kalamari
I think the backspacing is 6". I also have the 17" wheels. I bought 1.5" Spidertrax spacers but haven't put them on yet. I don't expect them to mess up my electronics. They'll make the tires stick 1.5" further on either side so it'll probably affect the turning radius a tad. I don't expect it to do anything more than what putting wider tires on would do.
Thats kind of what I am guessing too...when do you plan to get your spacers put on? Do you except any alignment issues?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

I plan on putting them on next month at the same time I install my lift kit and track bar. With just putting on spacers I wouldn't expect alignment issues, but since I'm doing a lift at the same time I'll check the alignment.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 for my 08 JKU sahara?