Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Good Year SilentArmor, or MT/R Kevlar? Opinons?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Year SilentArmor, or MT/R Kevlar? Opinons?

I have decided to go with the SilentArmor, or MT/R. I wanted the Dura Trac's but they dont make them in a 255/75/17. Do any of you have any of these tires? I need opinions and good advice. I want an All Terrain, but i want the aggressive look too. I do some off roading maybe twice a week, in some mud/sand mix, and light water. The tires that I mentioned seem to be on both sides of the specrum here as far as what I want, thats why I need opinions. Pictures would rock! Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the silent armors in the 255/75R17 for my winters and they were great. no problems with tractions and i never got stuck. i live in quebec canada and we get quite a bit of snow in my area but i never once had a problem.

however, if you want a more aggressive looking tire, the mt/r's are much more rugged looking and better for offroad than the silent armors. both tires are good in gravel, dirt, and, some water, but the mtr's will beat the silent armors in mud, sand, and really rocky terrain.

for you, my vote is the mtr's. i like my silent armors for only winter tires, i'm currently looking to buy either the gy wrangler mtr's with kevlar or the bf goodrich mud terrains km2 for my on/off road tires. both are more aggressive looking and better traction.

good luck!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

I've had the silent armors and they are great in the snow but they are worthless in the mud, they pack up and will not spin clean.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea thats what Ive been hearing. I think I am actually headed twards the Hankook ATM's for now till I move and get settled. Then Im gonna pick up some Rubi take offs I think. I really want the MT tire, but its a lot of money and I dont actually "need" them. As my girlfriend so graciously put it.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Silent Armors and really like them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK-After..jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	69516
Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Why not just get the DuraTracs in the next size up (265/70/17) ?

The specs show it being pt.-something of an inch shorter and wider than the 255, but i'll bet you wouldn't even notice the difference if they were side by side.

I'd definitely take the Dura over the silent...
Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would rather have the duratraks too but Im not wanting to go down in size, even if it is a very small difference. I want an aggressive AT for sure, but Im picky and it seems like all the good ones are not made in 255/75R17.

---Does anyone know if a 275/70R17 is a really close match to a 255/75R17? It seems like it is but Im not that good with tires.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

I would highly recommend considering the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's. They come in your size (I should know as I have them on my Jeep right now in that size). Great in the dry/wet/snow/ice. Can't tell you how they are in mud. VERY quiet on the road. I've had 3 sets of them on my various vehicles and wouldn't consider any other tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A% 2FT+Revo+2&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&par tnum=57TR7REVO2OWL&tab=Sizes

Originally Posted by coastie kyle
I would rather have the duratraks too but Im not wanting to go down in size, even if it is a very small difference. I want an aggressive AT for sure, but Im picky and it seems like all the good ones are not made in 255/75R17.

---Does anyone know if a 275/70R17 is a really close match to a 255/75R17? It seems like it is but Im not that good with tires.

Last edited by Robar; 05-25-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST CLICKABLE NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You have options on the size.

The mfg lists the specs for all of their tires, and you can do a quick online search for 'metric tire calculator' or anything similar to that. Just remember that the listed tire sizes are rarely ever accurate, and the mounted tires will likely be around an inch shorter than spec'd...

From the FAQ's nailed to the top of this section:

Q: What is the biggest size tire I can fit on my stock Jeep JK Wrangler?
A: The largest tire size that the factory recommends is a 255/75R17 (which comes standard on Rubicon models) or a 32x10.50. However, there are many Jeep JK Wrangler owners who are currently running as big as 285/70R17 or 33x10.50's with little to no rubbing issues.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikegp

i have the silent armors in the 255/75R17 for my winters and they were great. no problems with tractions and i never got stuck. i live in quebec canada and we get quite a bit of snow in my area but i never once had a problem.

however, if you want a more aggressive looking tire, the mt/r's are much more rugged looking and better for offroad than the silent armors. both tires are good in gravel, dirt, and, some water, but the mtr's will beat the silent armors in mud, sand, and really rocky terrain.

for you, my vote is the mtr's. i like my silent armors for only winter tires, i'm currently looking to buy either the gy wrangler mtr's with kevlar or the bf goodrich mud terrains km2 for my on/off road tires. both are more aggressive looking and better traction.

good luck!
Where did u get those mirrors and what kind are they ?

Quick Reply: Good Year SilentArmor, or MT/R Kevlar? Opinons?