Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this a good price for gear install?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepNDad
Heck that makes my $1700 quote sound like a bargain.
Yeah no doubt! I think a little trip down to the U.S. of A. may be in order to get the gears done.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
I'm soon going to be putting on 35's, so I decided to call my local shop for a quote on installing some 4.88's. I'm up in Canada so I knew it would be a bit more then you guys in the US, but I was shocked by what I heard. $3000 CDN($2850 US) for parts and labour. While I know this is not an easy job, I was told it would take a solid day and a half to do. Does this not sound outragiously steep for a gear install???
It does take about 10 to 12 hours to set everything up properely, there are some shops that bang them in much faster though
Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm soon going to be putting on 35's, so I decided to call my local shop for a quote on installing some 4.88's. I'm up in Canada so I knew it would be a bit more then you guys in the US, but I was shocked by what I heard. $3000 CDN($2850 US) for parts and labour. While I know this is not an easy job, I was told it would take a solid day and a half to do. Does this not sound outragiously steep for a gear install???
Well...I hope they're doing complete overhaul and not simple install for that price... you'd better be getting all new bearings at that price.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Yeah no doubt! I think a little trip down to the U.S. of A. may be in order to get the gears done.
I aggree,, the differance would pay for good chunk of the road trip.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
our local jeep guy does them for $200 per axle.

Which is definetly a steal. His works great and very reliable. Or course he works on Jeeps as a hobby. its not his day job
that's it. i'm coming to ohio. where can i find this philanthropist?

i've watched part of this process and will not attempt on my own. i've revisted this recently and shops in the northwest arkansas area have quoted quoted 1,300 to 1,500 including 4.88 gears.

Quick Reply: Is this a good price for gear install?