Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

is this a good plan?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is this a good plan?

ok. i am planning on getting a rustys offroad 3.25" lift kit and add on the adjustable front and rear adjustable arms. i want to run 35's so i will regear at the time of the lift. my jeep is an 07 2 door x, i dont really do any hard core offroading, mainly a little mud and/or trailriding.

my question is this...

if later on down the line i decide that i want a larger lift in order to run 37s, could i just get the 4" coil lifts and save some money by already having the adjustable arms? or would i have to scrap the whole thing and buy a whole new kit?

I plan on running a few sets of 35s off the jeep with the rustys kit, and later on if i want to (and if i have the money to) i would like to put an airock kit on and run 37s. could i do this with the rusty's adjustable arms?

also, with this smaller lift and the fact that i wont be rockcrawling at all, will i be fine running the stock driveshafts for a while? i have heard of people really having trouble with them because they flew their jeep out a lot and it tears the boot. since i hopefully wont be doing any hard core flexing, do i really need to drop the money on new shafts? i will eventually but just want to have a little bit of a buffer between the lift so i can save up some money.

i would love to know what yall think..

thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the lift goes and swapping parts later on, it depends on the lift. I am currently running the BDS 3" lift and am swapping out the springs to their 4.5" springs. The front schocks are the same for both lifts, so I do not have to change those. The rear shocks are different (longer), so those will get replaced. As for the arms, as long as they have enough adjustability to compensate for the height increase (which they most likely will), then no, you will not have to change those out. Just simply adjust them for the height change on the suspension. You may have to change to longer shocks and extended brake lines, but that depends on what shocks you will already be running. You could probably get away with not changing them out though (the shocks), since it would be no different than someone putting in spring spacers for a little more height.

Where the driveshafts are concerned, it's hard to say. My lift is a 3" lift, and it gave me 3". Most lifts give you more than what they advertise. That said, I would strongly advise replacing both driveshafts since you have a 2dr. My lift is getting changed over next month, and I am swapping out both shafts at that time. The front "should" be replaced at anything over 3", and on a 2dr, so should the rear. If you don't do much wheeling, then they might last you for a little while though, so you may get away with waiting, but I think that eventually, you will need to do it. If you go taller to run 37's, then you will definately need to swap them out.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Rusty's lift on my 07 2dr and I would recommend doing the driveshafts if you have the loot. My stock shaft blew after about 2500 miles. Then again I was towing, and I didnt do the control arms until I got JE Reel driveshafts. You may have better luck with the stock pieces once you correct the angles.

I just ordered the daystar 3/4" spacers to add for 4" which is like $65, so i dont have to buy new springs. The Rusty's springs are fine and give a great ride, so I have no interest in changing springs. You will want to get the brake line extensions if you are gonna add any more hight than the 3.25 or if you will be flexing at all. The Rusty's arms seem to give plenty of adjustment to go to 4"
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have to agree with pan head, especially on a 2 door. You're really gonna be changing your angles on your shaft and you could run into clearance issues. I just put new suspension in mine and had to replace the front.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

so even if i get the adjustable arms to correct the angle they wont hold up for several months of road driving? the driveshafts that is.

panhead, after you put the spacers on your jeep, what size tire are you going to put on there? just curious..
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

so even if i get the adjustable arms to correct the angle they wont hold up for several months of road driving? the driveshafts
Besides the fact that the boot in the center of the driveshaft tends to hit the frame work under the Jeep, it isn't the axle side of the shaft that goes out. The most common place for failure is the transfer case side. The CV joints do not last long at the transfer case once the angle is too great...and control arms only adjust the angle at the axle, so your transfer case driveshaft angle is still greatly increased.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Check out this link...

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...aft/index.html
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

So. In yalls opinion could I run the oe replacement shafts from je reel will be fine on my jeep since it is mostly rode driving. Thanks for the info. It really helped.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 AM
JK Newbie

I am going to stick with 35s for now. Maybe down the road I'll go to 37s, but i doubt it, I just want a little more clearance. I put the oe replacement shaft on the front, but used the 1350 on the rear since I broke my stock rear towning, and didnt want to risk that happening again.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

panhead,
was the oe replacement just a bolt in deal? you didnt have to pull the flanges off the transfer case or the axles and install a yolk did you?

Quick Reply: is this a good plan?