Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this a good deal?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

I'm looking to upgrade my front axle to a D44 and found one on CL not too far from home. Add says Front Jk dana 44. New. Needs assembly, 410 gears, electric locker and bearing install kit. No axle shaft. 1500.00firm! Is 1500 a good deal? It seems like a lot of money considering what's not included. How much more would I have to spend to make the complete switch from D30? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
I'm looking to upgrade my front axle to a D44 and found one on CL not too far from home. Add says Front Jk dana 44. New. Needs assembly, 410 gears, electric locker and bearing install kit. No axle shaft. 1500.00firm! Is 1500 a good deal? It seems like a lot of money considering what's not included. How much more would I have to spend to make the complete switch from D30? Thanks in advance for any advice.
considering you can get an unassembled dynatrac prorock44 housing for about $2k... i'm not so sure it's worth it.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A new rubi 44 front bare housing is around $950. You can find used inner axles from guys that have upgraded for maybe $100 +/- ? The gears/locker/install kit are included, but are you running 4.10's in back? Or will you need to regear one or both axles anyway? Seals are cheap. Outer axles/brakes/etc would be transferred from your D30. And then you would need to decide on strength upgrades. Gussets/inner sleeves/outer sleeves/truss/ca skids/ beefier mounts/etc. And then all of the labor for swapping parts from your 30, welding everything, installing everything, setting up the gears and locker, new wiring and switches for the locker, etc.

Add it all up and see how close you are to a new PR delivered to your door.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I picked up a set of rubi axles front and rear complete with brakes for $3500 brand new still in the crate
Man that sounds like a sweet deal for two complete axles, thanks for the advice
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A new rubi 44 front bare housing is around $950. You can find used inner axles from guys that have upgraded for maybe $100 +/- ? The gears/locker/install kit are included, but are you running 4.10's in back? Or will you need to regear one or both axles anyway? Seals are cheap. Outer axles/brakes/etc would be transferred from your D30. And then you would need to decide on strength upgrades. Gussets/inner sleeves/outer sleeves/truss/ca skids/ beefier mounts/etc. And then all of the labor for swapping parts from your 30, welding everything, installing everything, setting up the gears and locker, new wiring and switches for the locker, etc. Add it all up and see how close you are to a new PR delivered to your door.
Thanks for your input nthinuf, forgot to mention I'm running 4.10 in OP, but with the 35s I'm running I'd like to go up to 5.13s.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?