Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Good or bad? One set of spidertraxx spacers?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammontroy
Are the ESP sensors on all four wheels or jsut one side?
They are on all 4
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bostonMA
They are on all 4
DUH. would have to be.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The_Captain
It is mainly for mud, as if my front is in a rut, my back may be just wide enough to grab the sides and pull my happy but out...
So if two tires grabbing the sides of the rut is good, would not all four be better?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Not an engineer, but I can tell you that my ESP did not like it.

Well I learned that this was a bad idea trying to drive down a winding back road on my way to the shop. The ESP kicked in several times and the jeep just felt unstable.

What kind of difference you experience with this combination probably depends on the sum of your other modifications. Again, I'm no engineer, but I know the difference in rate of spin between your outside wheel and inside wheels is now greater. Don’t know if having an unlocked or limited slip make a difference in this regard.

Also, you might consider the effects on the stability and roll given that the rear is wider.
I will let you know if my ESP kicks off, but I do have a switch for that

How is the rate of spin different? My tires are the same size.

Originally Posted by 98XJSport
So if two tires grabbing the sides of the rut is good, would not all four be better?
Maybe, but I was going for the back tires not hitting the same path of the front.
That way if one set was not going to be helping, maybe the other one will....
Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe, but I was going for the back tires not hitting the same path of the front.
That way if one set was not going to be helping, maybe the other one will....
Thats one way to look at it, but start sawing your front wheels to cover more ground and the linear aspect of having your tread stick out 1.5" more on each side becomes less of a bonus.

I would be concerned with hopping in and out of the ruts. Might not be enough width difference for that, though.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Thats one way to look at it, but start sawing your front wheels to cover more ground and the linear aspect of having your tread stick out 1.5" more on each side becomes less of a bonus.

I would be concerned with hopping in and out of the ruts. Might not be enough width difference for that, though.
What?

And hopping in and out of ruts happens anyways....
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=The_Captain;1262920] How is the rate of spin different? My tires are the same size.
QUOTE]

The rate of spin is different because the distance traveled is different while turning.

The outside wheels will always cover a greater distance than the inside wheels due to the whole pieR2 circle thing we all learned about in geometry. Also, the rear wheels do not turn to towards the direction of travel as the front do. Instead, the rear wheels want to go in a straight line which is their path of least resistance. They must therefore be redirected by the forces put on the suspension throughout the entire turn.

By widening the foot print, you are increasing the angle that the inside wheel must be turned at (due to the shorter circumference of its circle) and decreasing the angle of pull on the outside rear tire (due to its longer distance of travel).

You will find out whether or not this is a problem with time I guess.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

What?

And hopping in and out of ruts happens anyways....
Ya know, when you start turning the wheels to kind of zig-zag when you are losing traction... to cover more ground and try to find something for your tires to grab?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Ya know, when you start turning the wheels to kind of zig-zag when you are losing traction... to cover more ground and try to find something for your tires to grab?
ah, I was thinking hacksaw....
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

ah, I was thinking hacksaw....
Whatever it takes to get unstuck

Quick Reply: Good or bad? One set of spidertraxx spacers?