Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Good or bad? One set of spidertraxx spacers?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Good or bad? One set of spidertraxx spacers?

It all started with a conversation with a freind several months ago. We were talking about getting better tires, and I said I would most likely get new wheels and tires, and drop to a 15" wheel. He asked why and I told him I didn't want to run spacers on my current wheels. I told him for the price of spacers, I could just get new wheels, and he told me to get one set of spacers for the rear only.
I asked why and he said you will get better traction in mud if your tires don't follow the exact same line.

So I got a set off ebay for 75 bucks, and now My rear tires stick out 3" more than the front. I have taken it 15 miles on the highway, and my Jeep is much more stable. I like it. I will give you an update if it helps offroad.

Just so you know, no rocks here, just mud when it rains. But I like the look of it and I have taken a couple of turns faster than I used to and it handles better...
Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great question. I wonder what the negatives migt be.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hammontroy
Great question. I wonder what the negatives migt be.
I can't think of what they could be, save maybe for "serious" rock crawling, where an inch is the difference from making it or new tires....
Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see no prob.
Marcus, think he means 3in total, 1.5 each side.not uncommon for someone to run wheel spacers on one axle for clearance issues and or to adapt a different lug pattern.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
Is this a joke??

What kind of spacer did you get...and what size? 3" spacers sound like a horrible idea...LOL

Besides that your tires tracking 3" wider in the back isn't going to get you any further than if they were following each other directly. If you were in ruts you back tires would only have a couple of inches on the dirt (outside of the wheel) and the rest would be floating over the rut.

This HAS to be a joke.k

EDIT - are you running the stock tires with spacers? What size tire were you considering upgrading to? FWIW I'm riding around with 35x12.5s on stock 17s with no spacers. No rubbing accept at full lock on the lower control arms in the front.

1.5"x 2=3" I meant total wheel space. Guess I should have specified...
It is mainly for mud, as if my front is in a rut, my back may be just wide enough to grab the sides and pull my happy but out...

I have 32x11 tires, they rubbed the swaybar so I took the swaybar off...

Last edited by The_Captain; 07-30-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think we're going to need an automative engineer to answer this question.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

i'm not and automative engineer, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

in theory that is a good idea, but if you put some more thought into it, you would be better off getting spacers or wider wheels with wider tires at all four corners so that you have more of the tires surface area contacting the mud.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

If your Jeep is more stable now, then why wouldn't you get them for the front too? Your Jeep would be even more stable. I don't know mechanically if there is anything wrong with it, but I think it would look weird.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not an engineer, but I can tell you that my ESP did not like it.

For some crazy reason, my Daystar rear upper control arms stuck out at least an inch further than the stock ones. This interfered with the wheel/tire combo and I could no longer bolt on the rear wheels. On my way to get my new wheels with greater BS installed, I threw on spacers in the rear.

Well I learned that this was a bad idea trying to drive down a winding back road on my way to the shop. The ESP kicked in several times and the jeep just felt unstable.

What kind of difference you experience with this combination probably depends on the sum of your other modifications. Again, I'm no engineer, but I know the difference in rate of spin between your outside wheel and inside wheels is now greater. Don’t know if having an unlocked or limited slip make a difference in this regard.

Also, you might consider the effects on the stability and roll given that the rear is wider.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are the ESP sensors on all four wheels or jsut one side?

Quick Reply: Good or bad? One set of spidertraxx spacers?