Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
Thanks for sharing your experience. Have started eyeballing this since I have 137K on the clock of my 3.8.
You're welcome. I plan on sharing my experiences, good or bad. It's too late to change my mind now and I certainly hope this does not turn into something I regret doing.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What size tires are you running? You might give Robbie a call. If I remember correctly, when I change tire sizes I have to update the GM ECU and the Jeep ECU. Not even sure if that will be the issue.. but I do know I have to update both computers.

Btw, I'm running the 6.0L L96 with 6L80E... I have and it installed (by his folks) for a bit over 40,000 miles now and it's been great the entire time and he's always been a great help when it came to questions and such. For example, I've changed gears and tire size since the install which meant some reprogramming of the GM ECU.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
What size tires are you running? You might give Robbie a call. If I remember correctly, when I change tire sizes I have to update the GM ECU and the Jeep ECU. Not even sure if that will be the issue.. but I do know I have to update both computers.

Btw, I'm running the 6.0L L96 with 6L80E... I have and it installed (by his folks) for a bit over 40,000 miles now and it's been great the entire time and he's always been a great help when it came to questions and such. For example, I've changed gears and tire size since the install which meant some reprogramming of the GM ECU.
I'm running 32" tires. Oddly enough my speedometer is accurate. It's the odometer that is off. I've already talked to Robbie. My JK has the new MoCan module. He thinks the problem has something to do with the extra channel they ran to make the PRNDL work in a manual transmission instrument cluster.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ah. Okay.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Folks, here is another update on my MoTech LMG conversion. As I said earlier my Jeep had a few minor bugs after it's conversion. Robbie said bring it down and they would take care of it.

I drove to Vegas a couple of days ago and dropped it off. I wanted the bugs sorted. I also requested a HD radiator and upgraded Pentastar fan. I played tourist down there, picked it up today and drove it home 400 miles. Here are my thoughts.

No problems on the drive home. Bugs are gone and everything works as it should. New radiator and fan are great and keep the engine temps cool. The difference if drive-ability is amazing. The engine purrs along at about 1950 rpm at 70 mph. Passing is effortless. At the end of the 400 mile trip I didn't feel beat-up like I would have with the 3.8L.

My original conversion was a budget build with no options. I opted for a turn-key conversion. I'm getting old enough that I didn't have the inclination or time for a do it yourself conversion. That said with Robbie's new EZ conversions I'm sure I could have handled it.

The stock radiator would be fine for light duty and every day use. I quickly found it did not have enough cooling capacity for hauling a small trailer. Especially in a 100 degree desert. If you can afford it, get the HD radiator.

It looks like I took about a 1-2 mpg hit. The trade off is worth it. I think I can improve on that with changes in my driving pattern and maybe with the grade fuel I use.

Overall I'm very satisfied. I have a JK with 320 horsepower. It sounds great and drives like a different vehicle. Robbie and his crew busted their butts to make sure I was happy with my conversion. They are busy for a reason.

If anyone is thinking about an LS conversion, give Robbie a call.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'll second this. I had Robbie put an L96 (6.0L iron block VVT) w/ 6L80E in my JKU in 2014 and I have been pleased with that decision ever since.

I'll also add that Robbie won't over-sell you. To the contrary, he will want to have a conversation with you about what you expect from the conversion, what type of driving you will be doing, if you will be towing (and how big/often), as well as several other questions. He will then recommend to you the application that will fit your expectations. The guy is honest as the day is long.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did 40’s and 538 gears do with power and highway speed?

I also just got back from Vegas. Motech finished my conversion and it turned out awesome. Have the 5.3 with 6spd tap shift. Its a tire spinning beast now. Now that speedo is corrected on mopar side, i can drive sane for awhile and see what my mpg is gonna be.

Im rolling on 40" tires and dana 80 axles with 5.38 gears so it will be interesting. The launch is grin worthy and it holds 75 without issues now. It wouldnt do that before when jeep was new and stock.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-25-2021, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 424 Posts

Very interesting happening for me the other day. I have always had the stock rad from the 3.8 with my 5.3 LT conversion. Never overheated even in close to 100F temps offroading etc. Coming back from a job high in the mountains and was diverted to a secondary road that took another 70 miles to get home and one part is a steep 8% climb for about 3.5 miles. Was towing a small u-haul trailer with a ramp in about 70F temps up that hill holding 60-65mph and temp gauge moved from its usual welded position on the middle pointer to about halfway to the right pointer. First time ever seen it do this. Once I got to the top it immediately started to go down and in about 20seconds was at the welded position again. So that has me thinking about towing an Off Grid Trailer in the summer if I have to upgrade. Mind you it was a dog race going up that hill with every man and his dog wanting to pass each other.

Quick Reply: Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.