Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going up to 40'

Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just done this, that cost estimate is right on the money!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whatever you do, do not go with 40's. It will suck all of your money. All of it.

Really though, Like many have already said, if you want to run 40's and expect to not break, you need to be on tons. I still break. I have no clue how some of you Dana 44 guys do it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

40's??? Why cut yourself short? You know you really want 50's.

You can probably pick up a nice set of these pretty reasonable from a John Deere dealership.

Available in wide

or Pizza cutter

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-31-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

These guys are mostly recommending mods that you will really need to "WHEEL" on 40's. When I read your post it does not sound to me like you really want to wheel them but more just put on 40's to look cool. So in all honesty if you just want to put them on I would suggest gears asap and other than that you can run them on the street no problem. I know a girl with a 2dr. JK 3.8 running 40" pro-comps with the stock D30 no issues but its a pavement queen.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went to 40's and with wheels, axles, driveshafts, tires, cutting, bumpstops and all I spent right at $20k. It's not cheap but damn is it worth it.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
40's??? Why cut yourself short? You know you really want 50's.

You can probably pick up a nice set of these pretty reasonable from a John Deere dealership.

Available in wide

or Pizza cutter
Gentlemen, there IS a point when too much is a very bad thing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	63
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	648773  
Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I think you should Try 38's or 37's First. But honestly you need to ride the trails with someone or a group and find out what your limitations are. One of the Most important mods is lockers. They will allow you to tackle obstacles that cannot be done easily with open/open. I think you will find that most trails can be done with 35's. If you going for the look and don't want to feel Inferior to Lifted trucks.... thats not going to happen... there will always be a truck that is stupid lifted on 40's that is completely useless off the pavement. I know its frustrating that a stock Nissan Titan is Taller when your stopped at a light, Even with 4" lift and 35's but this is the world we live in. Trucks are in the minor league, Jeeps are in the Majors. You will find on the trails fewer trucks than Jeeps thats because they can't hang.
Case in point.. My son has a Power Wagon on 8" lift and 37s. He dwarfs my 4dr on 4" lift and 37s.. However he doesn't have a hope hanging with me once we are off road. Too big , too Heavy too hard to maneuver...

Quick Reply: Going up to 40'