Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going from stock to 35's in stages? Is it even doable??

Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's how I did it:

[1] Save, purchase, and install spacers
[2] Save, purchase, and install lift
[3] Save and purchase Superchips
[4] Save, save, save (or borrow, borrow, borrow), purchase, and install wheels/tires
[5] Save and have axles regeared
[6] Saving for rear bumper/tire carrier
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tomb
Here's how I did it:

[1] Save, purchase, and install spacers
[2] Save, purchase, and install lift
[3] Save and purchase Superchips
[4] Save, save, save (or borrow, borrow, borrow), purchase, and install wheels/tires
[5] Save and have axles regeared
[6] Saving for rear bumper/tire carrier
i'm definitely planning on using the factory wheels for a while...there are some atx wheels with a nice beadlock/protective ring that i really like

it seems like a good place to stretch some money for a little while as long as the tires fit both sets of tims as well

matthew
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Dude what does this mean? You say this on every post you reply to lol
i think he replies to stuff thinking it will subscibe him to the thread so he can follow it...many message boards automatically subscibe you after you reply to it

it caught me off guard when i figured out this message board didn't operate that way by default and you have to click subscribe manually

matthew
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only go the spacer route if you want really expensive wheels and in a 17". Two sets of spacers will run $260. Mounting $100 then mounting on the new wheels is.another $100. DTD mounts free if you buy tire and wheel. So now you are basically wasting $460 saving money for wheels. Unless I was looking at $350 wheels I couldn't justify dumping that cash on a temp patch.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by keithvegas
I would only go the spacer route if you want really expensive wheels and in a 17". Two sets of spacers will run $260. Mounting $100 then mounting on the new wheels is.another $100. DTD mounts free if you buy tire and wheel. So now you are basically wasting $460 saving money for wheels. Unless I was looking at $350 wheels I couldn't justify dumping that cash on a temp patch.
Hmm good point

I hadn't priced the spacers yet, I have to price out the rims I have seen and liked...

I'm not partial to spending a $$$ on expensive wheels, there is just one pair I saw with a neat beadlock ring that bolted onto the wheel to protect/retain the beadlock

Where is a good vendor to check out good mailorder rims/tires??

So many sources out there, I really need some first hand recommendations

Matthew
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discount Tire Direct has great prices and as a forum member you get another $50 off, buy tires and wheels and mounting is free.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm also going this route: Everything I upgrade will have the eventual goal of moving to 35's. Eventual being a key part.

I bought 33" wheels as my first upgrade because I didn't intend to lift. Sure enough, my next mod was a lift (2.5") and I wish I hadn't gotten the wheels first.

I now have the 3 piece EVO skid set which I think is a practical mod. Got front and rear PSC diff covers when I got them installed. (front is now a waste, see next mod)

My next mod is I have purchased a near new Rubi front D44 to replace my D30. That will be installed sometime this month. When it gets done, I'm also doing sleeves, gussets, front diff cover, and LCA skids.

Future upgrades on the list will be rear bumper with tire carrier. The new Ace combo seems to be well priced.

I will probably wait a while before actually getting the 35's though. As mentioned, it's a huge waste to buy 33's and then upgrade to 35's while they're still near new. I have a lot of other stuff that is on my list before I actually make the move. Front bumper, maybe a soft top, tube doors etc.

I'd like to do a rear locker, but will probably wait until after I get 35's to see if I want to regear (currently 3.73). That way I won't waste additional money. I'm hoping to eliminate any mods that will only be temporary.

Last edited by suicideking; 05-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why get a lift at all???

Im eventually doing the same and like you kicking myself for not gettting my 2012 Sport in Rubicon variant.

The ecomony way for 35's on a budget:
I trimmed my fenders already
I have a $170 dollar Pavement-ends Front bumper
No Rear bumper, but would get a stubby if I had to.
Then trim/bend the inner seam on rear tires

Next I just need to purchase 35in tires.
The issue I have is do I purchase 15in allows and 35's
or
Stock 17's with 35in tires

Good luck on your end-goal

Here is my Stock 2012 Flexing a bit with front disconnected and even as is the 32's look tiny in there

This rear-bumper is what I been chassing to purchase, but have the EVO rear D-links for now.

Last edited by bigchelis; 05-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Going from stock to 35's in stages? Is it even doable??